SLC, UT

What is your favorite NES controller?

I've only ever used the classic rectangle, but I'm curious to try some new ones that won't kill my hands. The MAX looks like it would be the best for all around use, but the dogbone looks pretty good as well. The advantage seems way too big and not really suited for console gaming in general.

But what do you think?

Planet Zaxxon

People hate on that dogbone one, but I like the feel of it. No matter what controller I use, I still am a trainwreck !

Easton, PA, USA

The Advantage is roughly the size of the console, and is actually really awesome for shumps and PR8. If you find one give it a shot.

arkanoid dial or powerpad for everything. the powerglove is just bad

Taichung, Taiwan

Last edited by katsumbhong (Jan 3, 2014 8:09 pm)

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

this guy was cool for some stuff, easier on the hands these days, though i would rather use the classic, oddly enough.

SLC, UT

No love for the max? Has anyone used one?

I used a bunch decades ago, and I think I had hands on the max a couple times,  I remember not wanting to use it.  I prefer the original, but the dogbone is ok.  The advantage is good at times.

edit: I just wanted to add that the person who owned the max didn't seem to use it.

Last edited by rygD (Jan 3, 2014 9:27 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Yeah I have a max. The dpad slider thing doesn't do anything for me. Except help me die.

Arizona

I'm so used to the original that it would be uncomfortable to try and use anything else.

SLC, UT

After beating little nemo with the original controller my hands will never forgive me.

Looks like that's my best bet though. Would be cool to rig up an SNES controller to work for the nes though.

i really enjoy the design of the nes max, but the cycloid is pretty whack yo.

chicago

Dogbone for sure! (why would anyone hate on it?) I grew up on the original, but as soon as I scored a top loader there was no going back, no more sharp rigid rectangles for me.  As for the max, the d-pad was really terrible IMO, and the advantage only seemed good for certain games (ie shooters / turbo).  The powerglove was just a twisted evil prank played on the children of the 80's sad

Pittsburgh

Original controller: great buttons, responsive, but can be uncomfortable to hold after a long session of use
NES Max: AB, turbo, and Start/select are amazing. However, the slider for the Dpad is abysmal, even for some games it was made for (I can sorta get it to work pretty well for gradius, but that's about it.
NES Advantage: Feels so legit and cool to use. Absolutely gigantic, though! Weighing in at about 46 pounds, you can be sure it's not going anywhere while using it.
R.O.B.: Obviously the go-to controller for all your most intense gaming needs.

I'm still looking for the dogbone and power glove, so I can't commentate on their performance

Advantage is my favorite controller all in all, but it's not really portable or convenient to store. The turbo buttons on the Max are pretty good, but having to keep pressure on the cycloid makes your hand hurt more than the standrard dpad ever would. The original controller is iconic, effective, but not the most convenient.
</2cents>

Last edited by Another Castle (Feb 23, 2014 1:03 am)

IL, US

nah, really the orig is fine

Brunswick, GA USA
stargazer wrote:

No love for the max? Has anyone used one?

Had one, pressed the sides more often than I used the thumb wheel properly. Advantage is best. I find stock Nintendo controllers are junk, the cube being the only exception, I can't grip them as intended.