Stockholm, Sweden

Hi guys and girls! I stumbled upon this forum just before christmas and I thought maybe someone would be interested in giving me some feedback on this song here. I read through a lot of the other cc post and I found that a lot of good suggestions where made smile.

http://soundcloud.com/mannenmedhatten/videod-ds/s-OOeVy

It's made in Fasttracker 2, processed through some guitar amp plugins and with some drum machine overdubs. Some strings are in there obviously.

Any ideas or suggestions would be nice (arrangement, melodies, sound).

I've been working on it for a few years on and off. I haven't really finished it yet (or any other song in this vein big_smile ) but I'm liking parts of it a lot. The main problem I have as of now is that I really dig the verse/chorus thing in the first part of the song, but the ending starting with the quiet no-drum-part feels.. boring. I usually never bother to listen the whole way through since all the cool stuff is in the beginning. And that in the end the chorus just comes back in an uninteresting way.

I'm thinking of just completely rewrite the end and.. Maybe the intro too. Or rewrite it totally. Haha I can never decide if I'm doing a pop song structure or a mini epic with linear structure (the songs of Bruce Springsteens Born to run would be good examples of this).

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Welcome mannenmedhatten smile
Like it allot. I see what you mean with the ending, but it's pretty good. Maybe after about 3:00 you could work in variations of the riffs at 0:30 to lead out with. Might give it more of a game loop feel?
Very catchy
Yogi

Sweden

It's good! I'd rather see it have more of a pop song structure with more arrangemental repetition, and maybe a bit more variation within the parts themselves, but if you really want to go for a linear structure I'd suggest more dynamic variation. There were a bit too many rhythmic fills, too, that could be dropped or replaced with more subtle rhythmic variations. But yeah, it's quite good as it is.

Stockholm, Sweden

Yogi: thanks big_smile! Yeah that ending... I'm very inclined to kill it. And yeah I need to have some sort of loop part so I can do these key changes I now do at the end. Oh my good I love me some key changes. Is that the right term anyway? Oh I need to listen to Michael Jackson's Will you be there on repeat for a few ours again!

Boomlinde: when you say dynamic variation, do you mean like when I repeat parts try to change them up a bit? Like remove drums or whatever? Hmmm I guess I have been to lazy with just using the exact pattern without tweaks. This would be the explanation for to many fills as well. I just had a listen to some of my favorite tunes and realized that they often never repeat the exact drum pattern. Iike not have a drum fill at every chord round. I listen to a lot of black metal so I tend to overdo the drums haha.

And arrangemental repetition, do you mean more of a verse chorus verse chorus thing but with the variations I pointed out above?

Big thanks your your input anyway, glad you liked it!

St. Charles, MO

This is in all honesty, the best chiptune track I have ever heard. I actually thought it ended well too! I love how much it changes throughout. I don't think you need to change anything!

Why is it called death.mp3 btw? At least let it be a .wav file (aka uncompressed)

Stockholm, Sweden
ShinigamiMachine wrote:

This is in all honesty, the best chiptune track I have ever heard. I actually thought it ended well too! I love how much it changes throughout. I don't think you need to change anything!

Why is it called death.mp3 btw? At least let it be a .wav file (aka uncompressed)

Thank you! Wow what a compliment. But then again, you like the ending.. so that would make your opinion invalid... haha only joking. You´ll be glad to know then that I´ve put this song on hold for now and working on a new one instead smile.

Doest wav instead of mp3 really help that much on Soundcloud? I always thought it fucks up the sound anyway.