Italy

First photo of the working proto PCB!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Hecka interested if it works with the ANSII board for sure... I think I remember that the circuit for both was supposed to be the same.

Italy

ANSII is not officially supported. It should work though... well only one way to find out. If you have a breadboard this is easy to try.

Italy

btw. I just need to finish some small things before I can release this. Hold on there just a little bit!

Matthew Joseph Payne

chokay - he sent me the circuit at some point, can you send me the info you have so I can compare? If they match I'll breadboard it up and test it out. smile

Central Pennsyltucky

Hey all,
As this circuit is based off of the "MIDI Module" I designed a couple years ago and gave out to several folks, I firmly believe it will work with the ANSI MIDIo. I don't have one of these PCBs here, but my version of the same schematic works fine (I leave pin6 of the CNY-17 disconnected for best compatability, and it even works with my finicky Oxygen8.

Remember the YM_MINI and ANSI MIDIo standard firmware default to 38400bps. A button needs to be pressed on power-up to get the standard MIDI  speed of 31250. The button needs to be added to the MIDIo, and can be done by inserting a 2-pin button next to two pins in the IC socket of the processor. (no soldering needed!) Here's a quote from my instructions pdf:

"Normally the device defaults to FTDI mode, and expects signal and power to come from an FTDI cable
attached to a computer. If direct MIDI control will be used (Computer Free Mode). The MIDI Mode
button (bridging pins 33 & 35 on the 40-pin IC itself) needs to be pressed and held-down during power-on
or reset (using the reset button). Hold the button down until the green LED blinks. The LED will
blink only 3 times (instead of the normal 5-times) signifying it is ready for direct 5-pin MIDI control.
This is only maintained for one “power” cycle, and will need to be done every time the MIDIo is
started while used with a MIDI module. It will otherwise default to five LED blinks and FTDI control
only, ignoring 5-pin MIDI based signals."

Remember, on the ANSI MIDIo, it's only listening to MIDI CH16. It's velocity sensitive to change colors, and if your sequencer only sends "64" as the velocity, you'll only draw black to the black screen!

All of that said, putting it in a mirrored + continuous mode with the CCs, and hammering away at a keyboard makes a damn fun color organ!!

Central Pennsyltucky

on another note ...
I've just released the YM_MINI source code and schematics here:
http://wiki.straytechnologies.com/doku.php/ym_mini

matt's mind

you're awesome

Matthew Joseph Payne

rumpelfilter, count me in for sure!

Italy

Ok I have good and a bad news.
bad news is: I won't be making any PCBs
good news is: somebody else is going to make some very soon!

In the meantime, here's a lousy video of the thing in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etcq7oFwUNI

If you don't want to wait for the PCBs being manufactured, you can of course make your own using  the data provided here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/498 … se_v01.zip

But there's nothing like a nice professionally made PCB!

Unsubscribe

Whats that sequencer?

Joliette, QC, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

Whats that sequencer?

Looks like Genome MIDI sequencer ! Really cool one, I used it a lot with my MidiNES !

Italy

Yes it's Genome.
Genome is nice... But it has a bunch of stupid limitations.
I hope they will improve on those in the next release.

Italy

DONE!
I've finally housed the whole circuit in a new enclosure. It's not the most beautiful, but it doubles as a container for "the internet"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

matt's mind

ah man thats so nice looking!  i love the shape/look of this,

are the case files available somewhere?  i'd like to cut this out too!

Central Pennsyltucky

I'm dying! Did you see that episode before you designed the case? awesome!
Looks great!