Madison, WI
majin_reid wrote:

Would installing a 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistor to the colored wire be the way to go?

Correct.  Solder to the non-black wire.

Madison, WI

http://nonelectronics.com/index.php?rou … uct_id=103

Varia5uit Mods are now up at the shop.

I just bought a V5BACKLIGHT and it came with the Varia5uit. This is going to be my first time soldering and I have very little knowledge when it comes to hardware so I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly which points I should solder both the backlight and the varia5uit, I'd be really grateful since there's not a single YouTube tutorial on how to install the varia5suit and when it comes to the backlight it seems people tend to use different points on every single video.

This is a video for the older version of the backlight,  but the points on the pcb are the same... Go to the 4.00 minute mark to see where to solder the power wire and the ground wire:  http://youtu.be/pmE3ztwCvcg

The only difference is that your power wire from the backlight goes to the open lead on the trimmer pot,  and the wire from the trimmer pot goes to the point on the pcb.

Hope this helps.

RJL wrote:

This is a video for the older version of the backlight,  but the points on the pcb are the same... Go to the 4.00 minute mark to see where to solder the power wire and the ground wire:  http://youtu.be/pmE3ztwCvcg

The only difference is that your power wire from the backlight goes to the open lead on the trimmer pot,  and the wire from the trimmer pot goes to the point on the pcb.

Hope this helps.

It does! Thank you so much.
To everyone that was having the overheating issue. Does this varia5uit fix that problem?

Yes,  the varia5uit fixes it as long as you don't keep it turned all the way up.  You could also use a small resistor,  like 33 ohm,  in place of the trimmer pot,  I find this works well.

One last question. The backlight came with polarized film. Considering I ordered standard and I have no intentions of inverting does the film need to be placed anyway? Or are those just for people that want to invert?

If you got the standard,  then the extra film is for those who want to invert the screen image,  yes.

After installing the backlight I noticed that apparently it's inverted and not regular as I though. I tried placing the film between the screen and the backlight but I think I got the wrong film considering I either get the same color as having nothing at all or I get an all black screen (on any level of contrast I set the wheel to). Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Anubis (Apr 25, 2014 3:13 pm)

Not sure what happened,  but if you place the film so that you can see through it then the image will be normal,  but if you turn the screen 90 degrees and you can't see through it anymore (black) then the image will be inverted.

Just received a reply from nonfinite, I had no clue inverted backlights already had film glued to them so I had to remove that first. Thanks again. smile

Unfortunately I have the same problem with my DMG as well( v5 installed-everything apart from overheating works  ). Could someone please tell me how to solder the trimpot  ? Thanks a lot!