Rochester, NY

thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

Bunnyboy from RetroZone has just unveiled a new product, it's basically a Super Game Boy for the NES.

more info can be found here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie … adid=32896

BOSTON

WOW. i wonder how the sound is...

rochester, ny

woah.

Rochester, NY

well, it's actually half of a Game Boy shoved into a NES cart with a bit of modification, so the sound is exactly the same. he even kept the original headphone output, which is mounted to the side of the cartridge. the sound is also routed through the NES if you do the resistor mod to the console, but i'm not sure how that would sound.

the price sort of kills it though, it's $130 and there's very limited availability for now.

Canada
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

WOW. i wonder how the sound is...

Just like a DMG, at least on the board. I don't know what exactly happens to the signal in terms of quality and noise as it goes through the NES, RF modulator, etc. though.

I'm actually rather disappointed that they used a full DMG PCB. I mean, it works... but it's certainly not the most effective use of space, and it seems like kind of the lazy way around things. Even still, this is pretty cool.

Venezuela

i want this and a power pak for xmas plz... thx....

sweden

Like the SGB this also has the borders. I hate to be that guy but I honestly dont see the point of it.

United Kingdom

This would be good if there was a tut on how to make this, As I have some back PCB's of gameboy's that at the moment have no use due to the front PCB being damaged. This would be good if a tut was made available.

Sweeeeeeden

Phew, I finally got around writing a post about this on gbdev.gg8.se.

http://gbdev.gg8.se/2010/05/nes-retrovi … cartridge/

Melbourne, Australia

nitro2k01, you need to teach us all how to make these.

Unsubscribe

The link port is ina  really bad place for older nes'es.. +1 for that and audio being routed out the top and for nitro's suggestion for ditching the inverter...

I take it you lose stereo on this going through the nes as well?

Sweeeeeeden
TmTgr wrote:

nitro2k01, you need to teach us all how to make these.

Just so there's no confusion, I didn't make the thing, I just reported the news and gave some criticism. But yeah, the difficult part is the FPGA/CPLD programming, I can tell you that much.

Minneapolis

See, to me this is really cool, since it's a sweet custom design. With some tinkering this could conceivably become a custom kit, since what's going on is the interpretation of the LCD data lines and just providing power etc. to the DMG board. Really slick stuff, good job! If you could find a source for FFCs that are just the same size as on the DMG then you could remove the pain of soldering the thing and just plug 'n play, so to speak. I think this is totally awesome.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

nice write up nitro.
also, as far as i can see, they are no longer on the retrozone site.

Minneapolis

There were only 4, alas.

Milwaukee, WI

I think its useful in a lot of situations given that some improvements are made.  Also 3 channel NESMod with this through it would sound awesome!