Atlanta

Here's my first demo of my first (sorry) track done exclusively on one Gameboy running LSDj. I mixed it down and added some compression, EQ, panning, and a touch of reverb in my computer. This kind of thing is pretty much the complete opposite of any music I've ever made. I normally make boring hi-fi ambient trash that's more focused on texture, space, and field recording than anything. With chipmusic, I'm trying to make light-hearted teeth-gnashing dance tunes (with the intent of playing live one day), this forces me to focus on melody and structure instead. Anyway, I'd appreciate some CC on whether the track is too monotonous, and maybe some pointers on how to liven it up a little without making it too busy or distracting. General feedback is welcome too. It's not mastered or anything, so crank it up loud!

https://soundcloud.com/lghtcycles/sweatykid-demo

Last edited by DMV.ppt (Mar 7, 2014 7:47 pm)

Washington, PA

I became really concerned with being too repetitive after my first release. I don't find this to be too repetitive. There's a lot of really cool changes in phrases that I think work rather well.

One thing I'd do is work on some panning effects within LSDJ in tables. It really helps liven stuff up and if there is sound on the other channels, the clicking between panning is covered up really well. For example, the higher pitch part that loops at 0:20 would sound really cool if it'd jump back and forth between channels.

I have the same worry when writing but I agree with jmc1987. The repetition seems very natural. I really liked the sound design on this track, especially the kick drum.

Could you actually tell me how you made it lol?

Germany

brb deleting all my lsdj projects b/c they sound like shit in comparison

but seriously, this is great sound design. i tend to focus more on overly complicated melodies, meaning i basically have the opposite problem of yours. so yeah, its repetitive, but not so much that its boring.

NC in the US of America

Good sounds! I like how the intro bass sounds like a guy humming with his nose plugged. "Get y'all stank outta here I got my own! *DROPS THE FUNK*"

Personally I feel like that high melody should follow the bassline chord progression a bit more. The melody repeating unchanged so many times doesn't really appeal to me. But like... I dunno... I'm just posting to give an alternate opinion.

Atlanta

Haha, thanks guys! I appreciate the CC, it's all really helpful. I'll revisit it and tweak it a bit with this after I have a few more tracks ready to go. The other day I was about 90% finished with my second track, and I accidentally loaded it when I meant to save it, losing 80% of the song (worst feeling ever).

As for the sound design:
@Adil: The kick is just a sine wav kick w/ some added compression and EQ on the whole wav channel.
The main bass-line was a bunch of different KIT instruments running the "Kung-Fu" samples at different loop speeds, which made different pitches and gave it a weird texture.

Last edited by DMV.ppt (Mar 21, 2014 3:14 am)