Doesn't seem to be much documentation out there. I tried and failed, here are the steps i took.

1. Compose music in famitracker and export it as "track01.nsf" ( i have NTSC selected, not sure if that matters)

2. Open "track01.nsf" with Nestopia, it sounds good. Go to View --> "Image info" and take note of the load, init, and play values. For my track the values are
Load Address:   0xA801
Init Address:   0xAA55
Play Address:   0xAA58

3.Removing the header. Open "track01.nsf with a hex editor. I am using HxD. Configure it to show 16 bytes per row ( this makes it visually easier). Replace all bytes before 00000080 with "00". And save it as "temp.nsf"

4. Open Famislayer.asm with a text editor. Replace the value of the first three variables with the values noted earlier.
LoadAddy = $a801        ;NSF VARIABLES  (SAME AS VEGAPLAY)
InitAddy = $aa55
PlayAddy = $aa58

5. Place "temp.nsf" in the famislayer directory and run compile.bat.

6. The resulting Famislayer.nes rom should contain your music.

But it doesn't work for me. When i open it with Nestopia i get an error that says "CPU jam!"
Does my NSF not comply with NES?
Is it because i am on 64bit Win7?
Any help is appreciated.
Need to get this process down before a drop the money on a Powerpak

Last edited by Scripterio (Mar 13, 2014 1:00 am)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Scripterio wrote:

Doesn't seem to be much documentation out there. I tried and failed, here are the steps i took.

1. Compose music in famitracker and export it as "track01.nsf" ( i have NTSC selected, not sure if that matters)

2. Open "track01.nsf" with Nestopia, it sounds good. Go to View --> "Image info" and take note of the load, init, and play values. For my track the values are
Load Address:   0xA801
Init Address:   0xAA55
Play Address:   0xAA58

3.Removing the header. Open "track01.nsf with a hex editor. I am using HxD. Configure it to show 16 bytes per row ( this makes it visually easier). Replace all bytes before 00000080 with "00". And save it as "temp.nsf"

You need to Delete these 80 bytes not replace with $00

4. Open Famislayer.asm with a text editor. Replace the value of the first three variables with the values noted earlier.
LoadAddy = $a801        ;NSF VARIABLES  (SAME AS VEGAPLAY)
InitAddy = $aa55
PlayAddy = $aa58

5. Place "temp.nsf" in the famislayer directory and run compile.bat.

6. The resulting Famislayer.nes rom should contain your music.

But it doesn't work for me. When i open it with Nestopia i get an error that says "CPU jam!"

???? never seen that ?????

Does my NSF not comply with NES?
Is it because i am on 64bit Win7?
Any help is appreciated.
Need to get this process down before a drop the money on a Powerpak

Is the .NES 41k? Should be 33k PRG (32K PRG+ <1K Header+ 8k CHR). But try removing the Header rather that clearing, I think that's you prob.
Also your NSF MUST be less then 30K and not bankingswiching.
Yogi

Deleting the first 80 bytes did the trick. I thought that changing the size of the rom would throw off the address values.
Now it loads the ROM and i can change tracks. I can't play the song by hitting any buttons, but my understanding is that famislayer requires some kind of constant clock pulse, not just me hitting play.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Scripterio wrote:

Deleting the first 80 bytes did the trick. I thought that changing the size of the rom would throw off the address values.
Now it loads the ROM and i can change tracks. I can't play the song by hitting any buttons, but my understanding is that famislayer requires some kind of constant clock pulse, not just me hitting play.

Good Deal. Yea, a single trigger will only play a single frame of the NSF file, The NSF Player is called at a 60Hz rate so you wouldn't be able to trigger the play back too well by 'Hand".
Yogi