UK

Hi,

I'm happy with the restrictions of 4 tracks in programs like LSDj and Nanoloop. Though I was wondering any trackers exist which ideally also hold sample instruments that go beyond 4 tracks?

I've seen Amiga trackers and some computer based trackers with the capability of going beyond 4 tracks which is helpful (i.e -layering, an extra waveform to be able to create 3rd or 5th notes). Just wondered if this is a possibility to develop. If not, why isn't there?

Perhaps theres a limit on a cartridge? Yet there's 64 mb of space on a cartridge, surely this feature could be taken advantage of?

Just some thoughts, what do others think?

Last edited by CS (Apr 9, 2014 8:41 pm)

detroit

nanoloop 1.5 (i believe) has the hidden "fifth channel."

Unsubscribe

The limit isnt the cart, its the sound hardware. If you think about it lsdj is 6 tracks, since you can soft mix two sample channels at once.

Unfortunately, no. BUT there is a sort of work around to getting a 5th channel in LSDJ.

I suggest you watch this if you want to learn more. It's just a bit of WAV channel magic, but it's pretty interesting. It's basically layering a square wave into a wave shape to simulate a 3rd pulse channel.

UK
barbeque wrote:

Ah yeah I remember Nanoloop 1.5 with that 'hidden channel'. Though it's quite limited itself i found and wasn't what I was looking for.

I was thinking more about the idea of tracker by default starting with 4 tracks though with an option of being able to add on a possible 5th, 6th or 7th *  track/channel of your choice (I.e- a pulse channel,  a wave channel). I  think this just sits as an idea though it'd be cool if it could be possibly developed!

I don't know what the limits are to programming such a program onto a cartridge itself would consist of though.

Unsubscribe

Use littlegptracker!

detroit
herr_prof wrote:

Use littlegptracker!

pretty much

CS wrote:
barbeque wrote:

Ah yeah I remember Nanoloop 1.5 with that 'hidden channel'. Though it's quite limited itself i found and wasn't what I was looking for.

I was thinking more about the idea of tracker by default starting with 4 tracks though with an option of being able to add on a possible 5th, 6th or 7th *  track/channel of your choice (I.e- a pulse channel,  a wave channel). I  think this just sits as an idea though it'd be cool if it could be possibly developed!

I don't know what the limits are to programming such a program onto a cartridge itself would consist of though.

i always wondered if it was possible to have an extra soundchip in the gameboy or cartridge, similar to the many NES expansion chips, seems like this is what you're after

.FILTHadelphia

Renoise has lots of channels.

Brighton/Southampton

Limitations of the gameboy chip seem to be the defining reason as to why all, or most, gameboy trackers are 4 (or up to 6) channels only. That being said, it could be possible to make a hack and create a tracker that emulates a "2xGameboy" chip or something (each chip panned L+R respectively or summin), similar to Raster's 2xSAP hack - so you'd get 8-channels instead of 4.

(you can tell I know very little about this chip ahahaha)

Last edited by Fearofdark (Apr 10, 2014 12:14 am)

Youngstown, OH

SunVox

Fearofdark wrote:

Limitations of the gameboy chip seem to be the defining reason as to why all, or most, gameboy trackers are 4 (or up to 6) channels only. That being said, it could be possible to make a hack and create a tracker that emulates a "2xGameboy" chip or something (each chip panned L+R respectively or summin), similar to Raster's 2xSAP hack - so you'd get 8-channels instead of 4.

(you can tell I know very little about this chip ahahaha)

you wouldn't be able to do that with hardware, though and I don't see anyone making a PC gameboy tracker anytime soon. besides deflemask I guess but the only time i tried that was an early release and it kind of sucked at gameboy stuff.

the only other pc gameboy tracker i know of is Paragon 5 tracker.

the only other solution would be using a VST like chipsounds or that one WAV thing trash80 made a long time ago. chipsounds does a pretty good WAV channel emulation imo.

NC in the US of America

2 Gameboys + 2 LSDJ Carts + Link Cable = 8 channels (or 10 if you count the duel soft-mixed sample channels)

Pu1 plus Pu2 plus Wav 2 samples plus Noi = 5 right?

But yeah, 2xlsdj.
Or: arduinoboy midi out.
Add a synth or something.
You can send 3 notes per channel with some table trickery.

So:
Get an arduinoboy
Buy an FB-01 fm synth
Get the arduinoboy lsdj rom
Make some 16 channel musics!