CA

Hi there,

I know this topic popped up already (can't find where exactly) but I couldn't find the details I wanted. I'd like to use SMT LEDs and therefore I'm gonna need to place them inside the button. They're tiny enough to fit inside, which is good news, but how do I fix them in place?

Naturally I'll have to cut button holders (and maybe buttons themselves) for the wires. Wires will kind of hold LEDs in place but still it will be flaky I think.

So I'd appreciate any advice on that smile Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I remember someone mentioned that silicone buttons are easier to backlight - why is that?

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Apr 11, 2014 12:15 am)

matt's mind

the light disperses better in the silicone material is the main reason,

check our right angle SMT LEDs, if you are going that route you don't need to worry too much about trying to find how to light from underneath.  and, the silicone material can be hole-punched to let the LED pop up

also check out the rectangular shaped thru hole LEDs, cover one side with electrical tape to prevent hot-spotting, and you can hot-glue it inside the case!  done this myself, looks really great

CA
kitsch wrote:

also check out the rectangular shaped thru hole LEDs, cover one side with electrical tape to prevent hot-spotting, and you can hot-glue it inside the case!  done this myself, looks really great

Tried that and it's great indeed, but I want to try something different now smile

Thanks for the advice!

Internet

Bumping this thread because I'm also trying to backlight some buttons in my DMG. I probably just want to throw one white LED (or even a UV one?) under my start/select buttons since they glow in the dark. I tried picking some up from RadioShack but they require way too much power. Where exactly can I find low-powered ones? I couldn't find any on kitchbent or nonfinite.

I did a backlit button commision for a guy once. Smt LEDs one at each button. It's too bad the picture doesn't do the beautiful screen justice. It had the great full green color

Last edited by 12ianma (May 16, 2014 1:58 pm)