Whateverville, California

If some of these tracks may seem simplistic/basic, it's because they are. They're all 4 channel FT stuff, no samples and unmastered. Straight to .wav from the tracking. I love happy upbeat pop-punk songs and the nostalgic feeling of simple golden-age videogame soundtracks, so I was shooting for a fusion of those ideas here. Nothing too technical really.

The questions come in around the fact that what you hear is pretty much the extent of my FT chops. So in in order to improve what's to come; what am I missing as far as technique goes? Too repetitive? Needs more carefully written melodies? More/Less use of effects? Any tips on rounding out/beefing up rhythm sections? Shoot the moon?

I'm a long(ish)time lurker, first time poster, spring green as far as tracking or making chipmusic in general (I wrote all six songs last week, haha), but I have always been an avid listener. I'll be the first to admit I have no clue what I'm doing. I hope you guys have a fun time listening.

- Imaginary
=:3

Last edited by Imaginary (Oct 24, 2014 11:03 pm)

Well, no news is good news. The second half of the Demo is up now. I'm getting better, I think. (I hope.)

You're doing well for your first time using FamiTracker! You have a nice unique voice that will only get better with the more songs you write. Just keep it up! We all start out being overly worried about our music and how it stacks up to our heros, but don't worry about that, you're doing it! You're really doing it now... *wipes tears* Go for the sound you like! Be sure to try out the expansions (N163 is my fav) as you get more comfortable!

Here's a Fami track I just finished! https://soundcloud.com/ypmid/once-in-a-while

Thanks man. I've been playing in punk bands for 15 years or so and never cared about what people thought of my music. After keeping loose tabs on what was up in chiptune over the last ten years I suddenly I realized I needed to make some myself and just dove in. It went from an interest to a passion surprisingly fast, and I really care about doing well at it for some reason. It feels like I need to make up for lost time or something. I wrote so many scary, angry songs that 90% of people didn't like, and now that I'm older I realize that I'm this happy, not-at-all-scary dude who just wants people to have fun and enjoy life. I think my music reflects that now.

Your music is beautiful, by the way. My wife loves it too. We agree that it reminds us of old Sega RPGS like Phantasy Star.

Michigan

I don't have any experience with famitracker, but as far as I can tell you're off to a great start! As ypmid said, if you keep at it you'll hone you're skills in no time. It seems like you have a lot of music in your head, so keep tracking! Great job and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Music with passion! I love it!

Thanks for the kind words about my music! If you ever want to collab on a track let me know!

California, United States

To be honest it reminds me of when I first started with famitracker, yes it's repetitive, such and such, on and on. I think if you stick with it, study other peoples work, (Such as some of the lovely 2A03 puritan people) and try to write similar things you can learn a lot and grow that way very quickly. I can link you up to my ftm works folder so you can see the kind of progression I went through (If you're interested in going through a hundred and twenty something silly ftms)

And don't be afraid to reach out to the artists you like, get to know people, ask them to look through your music. IRC is a good meeting place (Like #BotB) and can be very rewarding.

Yeah man, I'm considering taking most of the music up on Soundcloud down later this week and reworking almost all of it. I'm learning exponentially now and it feels amazing. Hard to even describe. I like the demo as a demo in the ol' punk rock sense. It's raw, pretty shitty and honest. Haha. Lots of good advice and positive attitude here. Not really what I expected, to be honest. Lots of cynicism and unhappiness out there in the world, especially when it comes to art and critical analysis. I'm here to learn and have a good time, and it seems like many others are on the same page. Thanks dudes.

Just as an update I have new tracks that blow the old stuff out of the water. I really put my heart into them!  Left a couple of the Demo tracks up for shits and giggles, Give the new stuff a listen and tell me what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/imaginary-chipmusic

Last edited by Imaginary (May 14, 2014 6:25 pm)