New York City
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

considers Famitracker stuff to be fakebit because it's not a native tool

Oh my.

Joliette, QC, Canada
XyNo wrote:

ok cool but whats about Diad ? Virt ? (these last 2 got their NSF download on the page) Blitz Lunar ? Zabutom ?
lol I want to be pissed but I just can't take any seriousness in this graph lol !

if you read the article the Guy Who Was Conducting Chipmusic Field Research in Two Thousand And Eleven considers Famitracker stuff to be fakebit because it's not a native tool

No I didn't red that but LOL !!! XD

California, United States

fakebit is my favorite chipmusic personality

Brighton/Southampton

I skimmed most of bit, but I thought the article was an interesting read - refreshing to see more academic articles published on the subject of chipmusic. A couple of things are sketchy -  I thought Diode Milliampere writes for Adlib OPL, which should technically still make it authentic chiptune.

(impending potentially silly post)

"Composing fakebit is often understood as shameful activity" - Over the the last three years there's been a significant improvement on this attitude. Although, it usually only concerns people who make chipmusic with a DAW, and particularly those who use VSTs; not so much with tracker musicians who make XM/IT files (at least in my experience). Because these module formats are technically sample based, and that these formats don't belong to a "chip," they should technically constitute fakebit. I guess the nature of making an IT/XM file involves the use of a tracker, and given how old the format is, has made this method of music making less of a target (feel free to disagree with me here; I'm just making an observation based on what I've seen). Am I saying this format should be subject to ridicule? Of course not - the pure vs. fake opposition is being eroded and it's great too see, plus the nature and the overall notion of what chiptune is is changing.

XyNo wrote:

ubiktune on Fakebit ?! DUDE NO !!!

It's been that way for quite some time - Ubiktune puts out almost no "purist" chiptune albums out anymore and the last one I recall seeing on there is Kulor's "That's what I call Kulor!" back in 2012.

Sketchman3: I wouldn't say that "Battle of the bits" is proving itself to be a major influence on the chiptune scene ... yet. It's getting there though.

Last edited by Fearofdark (Apr 16, 2014 2:23 pm)

Douglas, Wyoming

ITT: People mad because they can't read

Unsubscribe

Its funny seeing people parrot stuff disorted that people have been talking about for years. I found the younger the artist, the more it matters, but people forget that almost all the first releases on 8bitpeoples was fakebit vst based stuff. Good music is good, and no one's opinion who matters feels that chiptune made with a vst has any different value than one made on hardware.

Last edited by herr_prof (Apr 16, 2014 3:22 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Being the critical motherfucker I am (and because I'm bored) -

"but the founder, Jose Torres, told me that there were more than 50,000 registered members by the time 8bc was shut down"

Proof?

"After the emergence of micromusic.net in 1997"

Source?

Both Wayback and Chipflip have it listed as 1999.

*EDIT* - spelling and no one cares whether or not I remember the years 1999 and earlier

Last edited by TSC (Apr 16, 2014 9:25 pm)

NC in the US of America

ESTEBAN WAS EATEN!

California

I didn't even know about this phenomenon o_o I guess I'm new to the scene

Arad, Romania

"Chipmusic sound is characterised by square wave ‘bleeps’"

Nope.

IL, US
TSC wrote:

Being the critical motherfucker I am (and because I'm bored) -

"but the founder, Jose Torres, told me that there were more than 50,000 registered members by the time 8bc was shut down"

Proof?

"After the emergence of micromusic.net in 1997"

Source?

Both Wayback and Chipflip have it listed as 1999.

*EDIT* - spelling and no one cares whether or not I remember the years 1999 and earlier

jose had a thing about not wanting to purge any of the spam/fake accounts, so there were probably 50,000 accounts at the end, but at least half were bots, people who signed up to boost their friends in the charts and bullshit like that. its great that the only people who seem to be named in the article as having actually spoken to the author are Jose and the chip-con dude, cause of course theyre really what the scene's all about, right? tongue

Last edited by e.s.c. (Apr 17, 2014 2:12 pm)

nashville,tn

Eh 6/10. There's quite a bit of academic verbiage, but the thesis is weak and not well supported other than anecdotes. There are a handful of fallacies due to oversimplification of categories. A good attempt at constructing  a narrative, but ultimately nothing of substance is really established. I feel like the paper I s more of an extension of the arbitrary insulation that surrounds "chip" ephemera than a critique or illumination of principles at work that establish anything "chip" as a unique category. Worth the read though!

Nomad's Land

I thought 8bc had over 100k members at some point. But according to the last archive.org snapshot before the takedown, the actual member count was 33931.

And as far as I remember, Micromusic was founded in 97, but the site went online in April '99.

UK, Leicester

Famitracker stuff to be fakebit because it's not a native tool

choking on my own hypocrisy rite now

Last edited by Alpine (Apr 17, 2014 9:15 pm)

Colorado Springs

Ultimately, chiptune music features a wide variety of styles (some constructed with an Atari, others by FL Studio kids). This really isn't a bad thing. It just means there'll be a style for everyone. big_smile