The Pacific Ocean

Anyone got ideas on a really cheap chiptune setup? I already have a couple gameboys and a monotron for filtering but I feel my setup is lacking. Any suggestions? I honestly prefer diy solutions but I know something's you just have to go out and buy stuff. Any  recommendations ? 

Thanks. tongue

England

why do you feel it is lacking?

i had just a game boy for years, you dont really need anything else and hardware tends to cost ££$$££$$

if you have a PC there are tons of free options like Goattracker, Famitracker and tons of others.

Last edited by Jellica (May 8, 2014 5:50 pm)

If you have gameboys then you can just get a lsdj cart, but that obviously won't be free. On the pc you can run anything in an emulator

Matthew Joseph Payne

Are you looking for more platforms to write on, or gadgets to complete the gear you have, or something else? I think the key thing would be a mixer to let you route the gear you've got more flexibly. You can DIY some pretty cool little mixers. http://www.beavisaudio.com/ has some cool plans and thoughts on building mixers, fx loops and the like. Might be useful.

And if you have a sound jack and solder iron you can do a prosound mod for free, otherwise you can get one for dirt cheap in most electronic stores

idk you seem to already have a cool setup

my setup cost me like £40 its a semi broken laptop i got from a family member who got it from work and a pair of headphones

money $ucks imo

The Pacific Ocean
kineticturtle wrote:

Are you looking for more platforms to write on, or gadgets to complete the gear you have, or something else? I think the key thing would be a mixer to let you route the gear you've got more flexibly. You can DIY some pretty cool little mixers. http://www.beavisaudio.com/ has some cool plans and thoughts on building mixers, fx loops and the like. Might be useful.

I already have lsdj so I'm more looking for gadgets and synths and stuff, thanks smile

Seattle, WA

Steal a FL Studio box from guitar center.

The Pacific Ocean
Payday wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

I already have lsdj so I'm more looking for gadgets and synths and stuff, thanks smile

Do you know any good cheap or diy mixers?

Oooh you mean building music stuff from scratch?

Memphis, TN
Dire Hit wrote:

Steal a FL Studio box from guitar center.

+1

The Pacific Ocean

Just to clear things up. I have a couple modded dmg's, that includes prosound. I also have one lsdj cart. I have a kong monotron for use as cutoff, and lfo filtering. I am looking for some sort of diy mixer solution. smile

The Pacific Ocean

Though I agree I'm probably good on most of the equipped ment I just sort of need to learn to write music a little better to utilize what I have...

Unsubscribe

If you are truly zero budget, consider getting into DIY stuff. For the price of another monotron you can get the basic gear you can use to make effects and simple noise makers.

I've been making chip since 2007 and to this day I usually just use two game boys and a mixer when I play shows. Focus on making music and when your music gets to a certain level you will start to see what kinds of sound you want to add and get appropriate gear to be able to accomplish the sound you're going for.

Boise, ID

Maybe look around for cheap or used guitar fx pedals. A little bit of reverb/delay is a great way to add color to your chip, and they're easy and fun to use if you play live. smile