Minneapolis, MN

Hey, I would like some CC on this track. Like it says above its my first track with 2X Game Boy DMGs and I really want to know how I can get the most out of them.
Thanks!
~TEOMAWKI

http://teomawki.bandcamp.com/track/rage-quit-single

Florida

I would advise to stay away from 2x lsdj. Get a good handle on 1 gameboy before jumping into 2 because this song could have very well been written on 1 gameboy. Make full use of the wav channel by mixing in wav kick drums with your bass. That leaves an entire pulse channel free for melody/chords/arps. Also your drums are pretty plain. Beef them up by using tables with s commands and o commands (depending on the desired instrument) The main melody is also pretty plain. Use different duty cycles and USE TABLES. I kinda cant stress that enough. Tables are what makes lsdj such an amazing program, so use the crap outa them. I would also suggest looking at other peoples sav files and studying how they write and design their songs. For example, Roboctopus' new release "Jelly" http://roboctopus.bandcamp.com/album/jelly. It comes with his sav files, go look at them and see how he makes his instruments. His sound design is amazing. Ya thats about it, learn lsdj sound design cuz in the end what separates a good chiptune from a great one is sound design. Good luck!

Tacoma, WA

^^^ Agreed.

Most good music written with 2x lsdj that I have seen use the second gameboy merely to add embellishment; meaning, the core of the song is and can be done with one gameboy. There are just some subtleties, like a lot of cool delay effects that can, for the most part only be done with a second gameboy. As was said, get comfortable with only using one gameboy first. And, most importantly, get good at using rests: don't feel like you need to crowd every moment of the song with a note. If you wanna drop a mad bassline, the best way accentuate it is by cutting out all the other channels. Maybe I sound a little disorganized and maybe I don't make a lot of sense, but, I guess what I am trying to say is that there is a lot of fun that can be had with 2x lsdj, but its often abused and not well done so don't fell like its a downgrade to play with only one.

buffalo, NY

don't name a song "Rage Quit" and then have it in a major key.

Alabama
danimal cannon wrote:

don't name a song "Rage Quit"

Fixed

Minneapolis, MN

awesome thanks! big_smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
danimal cannon wrote:

don't name a song "Rage Quit" and then have it in a major key.

Never name a song.

Never use any mode other than Greek Mixolydian.