Number of songs required : 1
Rough length of songs : 4 notes max
Deadline : There is no deadline
Style or Genre required : ChipMusic
Compensation : 20 $
Contact information : [email protected]
Game / company website : http://gamedanteam.com/

I want to create a jingle for my indie game team ( for the logo screen ) so i created a challenge to select the best one.

You can take a look at the details here :

http://gamedanteam.com/thread/937/gamed … -challenge

Be free to participate.

Thanks.

Last edited by noisechip (May 16, 2014 1:48 pm)

my best effort from 2 efforts https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 … ngle02.mp3

Twenty bucks for this is pretty insulting to the artist that "wins" and embarrassing for your overall company, I think.

It's not just about the length or number of notes, this is audio for branding.

Stuff like this bothers me because in the audio business, even in the independent world, this would appear to be a joke but "Hey it's chiptune music, lets have people compete for 20 bucks to enhance our brand."

give me the 20 bucks i promise not to be offended
if you can make a four note song in one hour thats $20/hr
what the hell are you complaining about

Pffffff I hope you win and then they make another game with the results of something like Angry Birds tongue

UK

E G D C.

Twenty bucks please.

Soooooo commissioned work has come to putting in finished work as bids to maybe get payed for the job.

Florida, USA

Protodome: I think you'd have a chance if you submitted in .WAV

In all seriousness though this format of selection is lame and belittles musicians/composers be they professional or not.

Youngstown, OH
sandneil wrote:

give me the 20 bucks i promise not to be offended
if you can make a four note song in one hour thats $20/hr
what the hell are you complaining about

I've composed for television commercials, for video games, as commissioned works, jingles for podcasts, etc. At every turn you've got the pressure of countless amateurs (in the literal sense, not in a demeaning sense) undercutting you and taking your trade and everyone's hard work down a peg. For what? The cost of like, half a sub-par XBOX game. Composers are tradesmen and if you need your roof redone you do it yourself or pay someone for what that trade and time is worth. Same with building your brand or finishing your game/commercial/what have you.

Buy what you can afford. You only have $20? Seek out someone excited to make $20 for the potential break or fun of saying they did it. But don't act like it's some contest people are "winning" by working for you pro bono.

/rant

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (May 16, 2014 2:25 am)

Sleepytimejesse with the dunk!

Unsubscribe

I challenge you sissies to mow my lawn.

IF YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH

Arizona

I made one for the lolz.
https://soundcloud.com/mostlytoast1/danredintro/s-VXVJZ

seriously though, making a bunch of people work and then only paying one is super shitty. Its like eating a bunch of super yummy samwiches and only paying for your favorite one.

Also, have you guys even finished a game? I checked out your website and everything looks like really early WIP stuff.

Last edited by MostlyToast (May 16, 2014 5:44 am)

Well, first of all i'm surprised by reading so much replies.

20 $ can't be enough ? Well, i'm sure that a lot of people are ok with 20 $ per 4 notes.

About to make a lot of people working in the same to select only one is just a matter of the final work, the most challengers the best will be the selected jingle.

Anyway if you are not ok with my request you are free to not participate.

About the game that we are developing some of them are at the end of the game development so we'll have finished games soon. Others at just at the first steps of creation.

Thanks for your submissions !

pd : I'm sorry that the most of you are disapointed with this request.

Youngstown, OH
noisechip wrote:

20 $ can't be enough ? Well, i'm sure that a lot of people are ok with 20 $ per 4 notes.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

I hope you'll continue to pay per note when ACTUALLY commissioning work.

One short melody, say a parallel period consisting of I don't know, 18 notes all together. For just the melody, you should be paying $90. Want accompaniment? Let's say it's 4/4 with a simple chord on every downbeat. Up to $114. Let's say that's at 120 bpm. That's about 18 seconds of music I'll bet. Imagine asking that same person to write I don't know, let's say conservatively for a small soundtrack something like 30 minutes of music. You can imagine the price (much higher than your budget).

What I'm saying is if you're really going to perpetuate this gross undervaluing of people's time and energy, at least have the decency to do what your money is worth and actually seek out someone personally, this is outrageous to hold a contest and I'll be very disappointed in anyone running at your $20.

Gosford, Australia

psst, i'll do 5 notes for 15