I'm going to order a custom GBC from 8bitaesthetics and I have the option to add prosound for free and I'm considering doing the internal prosound since that's the place where it least interferes with holding the console. Question is, should I? Is the sound that better from the original input? I don't make music but I do play a lot with headphones on so... let me know what you guys think.

South Korea

Um, I think the FIRST thing you should have mentioned is that you WON'T be making music with it. If you are not going to be making music, don't bother with the prosound, it will have no benefits for gaming. If you NEED more bass from your games, use BEATSbyDRE!

Thanks, I guess that solves the mystery! (Just noticed I posted on the wrong board, oh well)

I don't see why there is any harm in using a prosound-modded Game Boy for playing games, nor any reason why it would not enhance game soundtracks in the same way as it enhances other uses of the Game Boy's sound hardware, except that that game soundtracks often don't push as much out of the sound hardware and tend to not have as much bass.  Personally (aside from doing the mod myself), I'd go for an 1/8", rather than internal prosound, which gives you the option of using either output.

For a good comparison of prosound and original outputs, see Herbet Weixelbaum's page.

You can use both outputs with an internal prosound mod too. The thing with the mod is that is simply bypasses the amp. The amp is there for a reason, to increase the volume. This means that without it, the volume will be very low and is therefore less suitable for headphone usage.

Dadibom wrote:

You can use both outputs with an internal prosound mod too. The thing with the mod is that is simply bypasses the amp. The amp is there for a reason, to increase the volume. This means that without it, the volume will be very low and is therefore less suitable for headphone usage.

That would only apply to adding a secondary output right? If it replaces the original one it still uses the amp from what I understand, is that correct?

You can bypass the amp and still use the standard output of course, but then you would not be able to use the amp since you're bypassing it.

Dadibom wrote:

I understood that the point of an internal prosound was that it replaced the stock output.

The prosound does sound quieter through headphones than the stock output, but is still plenty loud enough, and I regularly use headphones with my prosound output quite happily.  Comparing stock and prosound side-by-side now and listening to Kirby's Dream Land, the main difference is substantially less hiss from the prosound output.  This is probably the biggest benefit you will get for listening to games.  My prosound is RCA post-pot.  You will certainly want post-pot for use with headphones, by the way.

L―c―o

I have an internal prosound DMG from 8ba and find it very nice both for music and for gaming. 

It does indeed reduce the dissonant hiss that can come through a lot of games on the stock output.

Just be sure that you buy some new adhesive for your screen cover; Chris (who operates 8ba) told me that the problem I had with mine not being well attached is very common, as the heat of shipping seems to make the adhesive he puts on peter out.  I personally think he should wait for his sealer to dry a bit more, as your package will arrive smelling like it. : p  But it's an extremely cheap fix and he, in general, does good work.  Very easy to contact him for customer support all through the process as well, as he's quick to respond via e-mail.

Good guy to work with.

Alberta, Canada

I recently started modding a gameboy pocket and I'm just wondering whether or not pro sounding it makes much of a difference. I've been searching online and from what I can tell some people seem to think it makes a huge difference, while others say it doesn't change the sound enough to be noticeable. If you could share your opinions with me I would appreciate it! I don't want to start soldering and desoldering things before I know if its worth it.

JOBO wrote:

I don't want to start soldering and desoldering things before I know if its worth it.

The best way to tell whether it's worth it for you is to try it out.  It's really not a lot of soldering compared to other mods, and you can test it before drilling anything in your case (if you're careful to not short anything, of course).

New Albany Indiana

I would save your prosound for a DMG.

Taichung, Taiwan

Or DIY

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14184 … oto-guide/

Bass Mod > Prosound Mod