I've been thinking about incorporating a thin client with my set,
because currently I have an akai xr20, a gameboy pocket, 3ds running rytmik and ds-10, psp running piggy, along with a digitech rp50 and a NADY mixer.
But, could I run maybe Damnsmall linux or crunchbang linux and then run a tracker?
or a gb/nes emu even if it is just for some goofy live experiments? or just to take samples from?
what are the possibilities with a thin client?

Riverside, CA
NimbleF0x wrote:

what are the possibilities with a thin client?

Whatever you want, linux is magic dawg.
Like you mentioned, there's plenty of trackers out there as well as GB/NES stuff available.
Personally, I would start with a basic Debian netinstall that boots into a dialog window where you can select what music program to use.
I've wanted to do something like this for a while, if I get around to it I'll post it in here.

May I ask why you want a thin client instead of an older laptop or something along the lines of a Raspberry Pi?  I am not criticizing, just curious.

I have never worked hands on with a thin client (I have had them in hand...), but would assume you should be fine doing anything that isn't resource hungry.

I agree with The Silph Scope, Debian should be good to poke around with.

Minneapolis

Third the Debian. Thin client is nice if you have them laying around, but otherwise the Raspi is probably cheaper and has better community support in general.

I'm doing a blog posting about 100 things you can do with a thin client to free up time inbetween job applications and making music.
The thin client I'd be getting has a pretty low amount of memory/flash/etc, but i'll have an SD card in it to back up actual files and such.
So, upon getting one, the actual running of a gb emu, nes emu, or maybe milkytracker.
I'm just asking if thin clients generally have the power to run a tracker or a gameboy emu.
I'll experiment with the trackers that are available for linux.
I have access to many many computers, being that I fix 'em for a living, i just like how small and tidy a thin client is c:

Let me know what model you are using, or the specs, and I will try to help you out.  If it is really cheap I might pick the same one up and see what I can do...

Then again I don't have much free time right now, and have many projects of my own I haven't completed.

As a bit of encouragement, I play around with things that are kinda weak, relatively speaking, and have gotten things I never would have expected to work.  I have also been surprised by the things people have been able to do.  This has taught me that it isn't the power that you have, but how you use it.  People here are using relatively ancient and limited hardware to make music, while people with much more capable devices are using them to run Windows, look at cat pictures, and play fart sounds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYSE-Thin-Clien … OU:US:1120
Is specifically the one i bought.

free shipping AND it's only $15!

i have made music with a thin client, specifically an hp t5720 that still runs antix 13. sunvox runs with acceptable latency on a 1ghz geode processor.

anyway, here's a link to the specs for a wyse x150se wt3150se, which is op's thin client in question:
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/3150se/

milkytracker or sunvox could be alright on a 3150se if a tiny debian distro is up and running.

Last edited by menthes (May 24, 2014 9:39 am)