New Zealand

looking for some criticism on my new track
E.p will be out next week so tweaking final touches n would like your guys n gals thoughts on this track
https://soundcloud.com/pvmpirxn/separate

USA

Its pretty good.

I tell this to pretty much everyone that either sings or uses vocals in their music - enunciate, use YOUR voice, and get creative with it. I want vocals that are musical but it also gives more depth to the music if the vocals convey something that the audience can relate to or be impacted emotionally by. Its also nice to experience new sounds so don't be afraid to get a little wild with it like you did with the vocals later on in the song.

I personally don't like canned beats/ingredients - I like things that are fresh with dynamic layers of flavor.(I did hear some reverb on some of the drums and there was definitely some movement/change as well as a drop/pause in there which is all good stuff.)

And I also like to only use repetition to accentuate something rather than just doing it because you think thats whats expected. Sometimes repitition works. I feel that its better to try and repeat the feeling rather than just copy/pasting to give more dynamics. But you are really free to do it however you want.

And when I write music I usually ask myself - can it be played live? How does this sound on crappy speakers or if it was to be played on the radio? And is the feel of this an opening, connecting, leading, rising, falling, encore or something definable type of song or movement?(so that I can maybe place it in an appropriate/intersting place in the set list/track list.)

I don't mean to sound so negative. Your stuff sounds good. I would love to hear the EP.

(I always feel weird giving advice or my opinion about someone elses artwork because I'm so harsh on myself about my own artwork that I usually only release less than 5-10% of everything that I record.)

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jun 4, 2014 8:40 am)

New Zealand

Hey surface dragon thanks for taking the time to listen and give mr your thought they are much appreciated, I Haven't taken it in a negative way at all, I asked for criticism and that's what you gave me.

Can I ask you one thing though, what do you mean by canned beats/ ingredients ?

USA

When I say canned beats/ingredients I'm typically referring to samples/drum loops that are either not originally created by you or copy/pasting the same recorded parts over and over again.

But its supposed to be a food analogy because a chef will typically tell you to always use the best fresh ingredients possible and to season to taste while keeping the measurements in mind rather than just seasoning to a specific measurement for the best possible flavor.

And in music it is good to keep things fresh by not using the same material over and over because it leaves the audience wanting more or wanting to hear the song again rather than just making them get sick of hearing something monotonous.

But on the other hand repetition in music can help to enforce a feeling while adding consistency and accentuate the part that you want the audience to remember or resonate with.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jun 4, 2014 10:30 am)

New Zealand

My drums are all sampled and mangled by me and I don't use premade loops, i  try to always build all my own sounds, i dont use presets, just so you know
Thanks heaps surface dragon for you input

Last edited by 8BIT KIDD (Jun 4, 2014 10:45 am)