Malapascua, phillipines

i know this might sound really dumb , but i just bought my 7th 64m smart card but as i was looking at i was like "hmmm... what would it be like to make a gameboy game and flash it onto here..." but i dont know any programming skills, i dont know what programs there are to make a gameboy game . is there something like gamemaker but for gameboy ?  i would love to create this flash game i had in my mind for almost a year ...

SLC, UT

Yeah, no.

Sweeeeeeden

Your 7th 64M Smart Card? Why do you need so many of the same thing?

Malapascua, phillipines
stargazer wrote:

Yeah, no.

i guess i can start to learn some coding this year is there any links to developing gameboy games?

Malapascua, phillipines

im a bit interested in code... (c++ mabey)

Last edited by nitro pulse (Jun 6, 2014 7:59 pm)

Malapascua, phillipines
nitro2k01 wrote:

Your 7th 64M Smart Card? Why do you need so many of the same thing?.

i have 7 gameboy dmgs (only ones modded) but i like to have lsdj for all of them. and the reason i have so many is because ima start a chip store in the future

Finland

Well if you don't know a programming language then there's your first step.

And no there's no easy way to code for a Game Boy, no shortcuts like you asked about, no game maker. smile

It's C++ or Assembler that gets that thing going. There's Game Boy Development Kit (Orrr whatever that was called, and yes, C++ is what I mean for the GBDK) which is kind of a collection of premade code one can get started with, but... That's pretty far out there if you don't know any programming. hmm

But dude, it's no summer project... It's not going to be done quickly. Just saying.

Last edited by my.Explosion (Jun 6, 2014 8:10 pm)

USA

I would suggest getting a hex editor, the program YY-CHR, and lunar IPS.

YY-CHR lets you modify the graphics of an existing ROM quite a bit if you know how to use it. You can go even deeper with the hex editor and modify other stuff but you really have to know what your doing. And Lunar IPS lets you take your modified ROMs and make an IPS patch based on it so that you can legally share your ROM modifications with others on the internet without having to personally distribute ROMs.

Here are some examples of modified ROMs/IPS patches that I've done -
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4916/ … atch-more/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4249/custom-graphics/

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jun 6, 2014 8:19 pm)

Malapascua, phillipines
my.Explosion wrote:

Well if you don't know a programming language then there's your first step.

And no there's no easy way to code for a Game Boy, no shortcuts like you asked about, no game maker. smile

It's C++ or Assembler that gets that thing going. There's Game Boy Development Kit (Orrr whatever that was called, and yes, C++ is what I mean for the GBDK) which is kind of a collection of premade code one can get started with, but... That's pretty far out there if you don't know any programming. hmm

But dude, it's no summer project... It's not going to be done quickly. Just saying.

so is it something i shouldnt work alone on ?

Malapascua, phillipines
SurfaceDragon wrote:

I would suggest getting a hex editor, the program YY-CHR, and lunar IPS.

YY-CHR lets you modify the graphics of an existing ROM quite a bit if you know how to use it. You can go even deeper with the hex editor and modify other stuff but you really have to know what your doing. And Lunar IPS lets you take your modified ROMs and make an IPS patch based on it so that you can legally share your ROM modifications with others on the internet without having to personally distribute ROMs.

Here are some examples of modified ROMs/IPS patches that I've done -
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4916/ … atch-more/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4249/custom-graphics/

the cusom graphics you made looks incredible and you did it all in yy-chr and lunar ips? how long did it take?

Finland
nitro pulse wrote:

so is it something i shouldnt work alone on ?

Either way man. It's going to take a buttload of time, and most of that time is spent on things that don't necessarily have anything to do with game programming.
The best thing you can do is: give it a shot with whatever you can get your hands on. The best experience is *your* experience.

Michigan

Here is where I started learning:
http://cratel.wichita.edu/cratel/ECE238Spr08

Aside from feedback and CC, that link will give you everything you need to make a game. It will take you all year to learn though, so be patient.

USA
nitro pulse wrote:

the cusom graphics you made looks incredible and you did it all in yy-chr and lunar ips? how long did it take?

Thanks,

I pretty much used YY-CHR exclusively(along with GIMP and mspaint depending on the scope of the project) to modify the graphics then I just use Lunar IPS to make patches out of the modified ROMs to do my best to avoid copyright issues. I rarely use a hex editor but I have used it to change words and such in a few ROMs.

At first it took me a really long time and it still does take quite a bit of time to do certain things. But I have worked out a system that I use to change the fonts in LSDJ that seems to work well and goes pretty quickly if I don't waste too much time actually drawing each letter individually. And there are a few other ROMs that I can modify extremely quickly if I have have a set idea of what I'm trying to achieve and maybe a little material to work off of like an image or specific font.

I have a few more LSDJ+ patches that I haven't released(and probably never will) because I don't think they are anything special or any more interesting than the ones that I've already released. But I've really been slacking on making some cool ones, maybe I'll sit down tonight and try to put some more together.

I could make you something if you want. Just send me a request of what you want and I'll see what I can do.

I hate to say this but its usually faster and easier for my to just do the work myself than to teach you and try to explain what it is I'm doing.

Boise, ID
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Here is where I started learning:
http://cratel.wichita.edu/cratel/ECE238Spr08

Aside from feedback and CC, that link will give you everything you need to make a game. It will take you all year to learn though, so be patient.

This is really helpful, thanks for sharing, Jazz smile

Alive and well in fucksville

making music for a year seems a better spend of time. not to be a pessimist, but there is every kind of game or app already done.

Malapascua, phillipines
bitjacker wrote:

making music for a year seems a better spend of time. not to be a pessimist, but there is every kind of game or app already done.

well the game idea i had in mind was a platformer/puzzler  those type of games are rare in the homebrew community