Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm just starting out trying to teach myself how to make gamey-music

Right now I'm trying to work on some relatively short loop and this is the first thing that I managed to do using Famitracker

https://soundcloud.com/davide-alexandro … um=twitter (I also have more stuff on my soundcloud made with Bosca Ceoil, but I'm moving away from that)

Apart from the obviously not great volume-mixing,I have the feeling that there should be "more stuff happening" in the track, but I'm not sure of what. Also I'm still not great at making instrument.

Świdnica, Poland

I've listen this song and the one i have to say-stop making "music"...

danthalian wrote:

This doesn't sound very... constructive :\

Oy! You're doing fine! Keep making songs and trying to write what you hear in your head. After a while you'll start to form your ideal music, but it can take a while sometimes!

As for "more stuff happening", stuff as much as you can into what room you have. Also check out the expansion chips if you're feeling a little cramped (N163 is my favorite).

Here's some of my music, mostly written in FamiTracker: https://soundcloud.com/ypmid

IL, US

yeah, that was an excessively harsh response to a track thats not bad...
its a pretty simple song, but that can be good.. i think maybe a few extra variations on each part and a little tweaking of the instruments could make the difference (those square waves are maybe a little cleaner than they should be)

Los Angeles, CA

Some variation in the volume department would help a TON.  The volume column is really easy once you get the hang of what's happening.  There's also a definite lack of bass, which makes the whole thing sound really thin.  But yeah, basically what e.s.c. said, variation is your friend.  Keep it up!  Famitracker is awesome stuff!

Thanks for the answers! smile

Ypmid wrote:

Oy! You're doing fine! Keep making songs and trying to write what you hear in your head. After a while you'll start to form your ideal music, but it can take a while sometimes!

As for "more stuff happening", stuff as much as you can into what room you have. Also check out the expansion chips if you're feeling a little cramped (N163 is my favorite).

Here's some of my music, mostly written in FamiTracker: https://soundcloud.com/ypmid

More than being cramped my problem is that I'm actually not really... sure... of what should be happening, and on how to properly layer the track. I will definitively give a listen to your music though, listening to something "proper" made with Famitracker should give me at least a few pointers.

e.s.c. wrote:

yeah, that was an excessively harsh response to a track thats not bad...
its a pretty simple song, but that can be good.. i think maybe a few extra variations on each part and a little tweaking of the instruments could make the difference (those square waves are maybe a little cleaner than they should be)

Yeah, that's a problem that I'm having, not being able to create nice instruments. Is there any tutorial anywhere to help or is it just a matter of trial and error?

Mrwimmer wrote:

Some variation in the volume department would help a TON.  The volume column is really easy once you get the hang of what's happening.  There's also a definite lack of bass, which makes the whole thing sound really thin.  But yeah, basically what e.s.c. said, variation is your friend.  Keep it up!  Famitracker is awesome stuff!

I already got how to change volume of notes, altought what I'm not still sure about is what should I use it to exactly.
Will definitelly try adding a bass line smile

Seattle, WA
danthalian wrote:

What the fuck is wrong with you? What possessed you to post in a constructive criticism forum instead of, oh I don't know, trying to stop a bus by jamming the wheels with your skull?

IL, US

i'd just go with trial and error.. can help you develop your own personal style

Michigan
e.s.c. wrote:

You're right about it giving you a unique style because the commands you use aren't just copied from a tutorial.That's what I did with LSDJ, and it takes me so long to write song sometimes, but it really helps me learn the software. My first lsdj song was awful, and my newest one is pretty dope.

Just keep at it, man. You'll find the sweet spot if you persist.

Last edited by lucasnoah (Jun 7, 2014 2:26 am)

Madison, Alabama
e.s.c. wrote:

Yeah, trial and error is often a great way to go with trackers. Don't be afraid of trying crazy things and messing up instrument patches. Just start changing parameters till you hit on a sound you like. Eventually, you will develop and understanding of the parameters and gradually start making adjustments with more precision and confidence.

Seattle, WA

I'd say one thing that could improve this track is variation and fills. The easiest way to force this is to change something at the end of every phrase(? I've been using lsdj for so long I don't remember the real term.) Do the same thing every 2, every 4, 8, etc. Makes the same things interesting for longer.

Finland

Yeah, I have the same response as has been covered: Keep at it, man. Try switching it up and vary the melodies, experiment with it. Just do what you like, have fun with it. smile And if you don't know what to do at some point, try *something*, anything. big_smile

( I dig your avatar and username, bro wink )

the track lacks any sort of bass instrument. try some long low notes in the same progression as the melody in the triangle channel. try some more commands. "0" "3" and "4" are some cool ones.

i also think writing new songs is pretty important. don't get stuck trying to perfect one song when you have lots yet to learn

goodluck

Indiana

It's overlong for the material it has. A lot of artists play with repetition, but they key is to introduce variation in other, sometimes more subtle ways than just melodic progression.

Examine each measure, and try to figure out why it's in there and what purpose it serves for the song. Sometimes repeating sections is useful for establishing a melody; sometimes they can act as a refrain.

In your case, I think you have a lot of looping material that doesn't contribute to the song, but rather fatigues it. Taking the material in that four minute track and making it a minute and a half long could be a really nice little ditty.

Also don't get hung up on perfecting something you aren't totally happy with. The more music you make, the more music you'll be able to make! Any individual idea is just as valuable as you want it to be.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fudgers (Jun 7, 2014 6:23 pm)

Świdnica, Poland

My little provocation has carried result  smile Discussion is going on at last smile The song is very simple, indeed, if i can remember my first tunes was a crappy shit, so keep going on, make more, more, more smile

Last edited by danthalian (Jun 7, 2014 7:47 pm)