Detroit, MI

Hello friends,

I've done up a bitmap typeface with some odd ̶u̶n̶i̶c̶o̶d̶e̶  characters that I don't use, basically, ever. Would a few of you mind giving this a whirl to see how they sit with the rest of the characters? I don't mind if you use ̶u̶n̶i̶c̶o̶d̶e̶  characters or not, so I guess any feedback is nice.

Thanks!

Edit: Removed the old links, latest version is up here, based off of nitro2k01 and rvan's comments.  Considering making a git repo for this...

The blocks supported are Latin Basic, some (80%) Latin-1 Supplement, and Latin Extended-A.

Last edited by Nursey (Jun 14, 2014 3:34 pm)

I've in fact been on the lookout for bitmap fonts which support BMP 0000-03FF, which I use quite often, so I was interested to try this out.  Unfortunately, your download link doesn't work.  Would you care to post a direct link to your font?

Detroit, MI

If that doesn't work I'll put it on Mediafire or something. Thanks!

Sweeeeeeden

I would much rather than you put the heart on one of the heart code points instead of on the euro sign code point, such as U+2665, and put an actual euro sign on U+20AC, accessibility be damned.

The new download link works, thanks.

I was hoping for a more readability-focussed font, but I like this general aesthetic too.  It reminds me a lot of the classic artwiz-aleczapka fonts. I've had a look through, mostly concentrating on the glyph forms.  I don't see support for much of the Unicode range, only Basic Latin, Latin-1 Supplement and Latin Extended-A.  Is this all that's included, or is this an encoding issue (probably at my end)?  It's nice to see that those ranges are fully supported, though (except for a missing glyph at U+017F).  What follows are some notes I made looking through the glyphs.

Glyphs

U+0030 DIGIT ZERO is not distinguishable from U+004F LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O; perhaps dot the zero?
U+00BF INVERTED QUESTION MARK, your glyph is mirrored in the y axis from what it should be.
U+00AA FEMININE ORDINAL INDICATOR has an underbar, but U+00BA MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR lacks one.
U+00F0 LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH shows a miniscule eth (with missing crossbar), but all your other SMALL letters show majuscule forms.
U+010B LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH DOT ABOVE shows an acute, not a dot.
Your breves look like carons, but I'm being fussy here.
U+010F LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH CARON shows an odd variant, not the same as the majuscule form.
U+0123 LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH CEDILLA; as above.
U+0165 LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CARON; as above.
U+017F LATIN SMALL LETTER LONG S is missing, but Latin Extended-A is otherwise complete.

Cosmetics

U+003A COLON and U+003B SEMICOLON don't have the same dot-spacing.
U+00C6 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER AE has funny proportions.
U+0108 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C WITH CIRCUMFLEX, the circumflex alignment looks slightly odd in running text.
U+0134 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER J WITH CIRCUMFLEX, the circumflex alignment looks odd in isolation, but alright in running text.
U+0162 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T WITH CEDILLA, the cedilla doesn't match your other cedillas, which are otherwise consistent.

Detroit, MI

This is really great guys, thanks.

nitro2k01 wrote:

I would much rather than you put the heart on one of the heart code points instead of on the euro sign code point, such as U+2665, and put an actual euro sign on U+20AC, accessibility be damned.

I thought I removed all the hearts, they were placeholders for a little bit while I worked out the characters, but I'll check again.

@rvan
Just what I was looking for! I will make some changes later today and get a new version out. You guys rock!

Detroit, MI

Edited version is up! Its the same name as the previous for easy overwrite.
The bitmap font tool I used was web based, and is limited as to what I can edit, so I'm definitely going to learn how to use fontforge or something. I can imagine a Cyrillic-compatible bitmap font...

West Yorks, UK

i can vouch for fontographer being good. I draw the vectors in illustrator and create the font using fontographer. i have heard people praising the vector drawing abiity in fontographer, and its fairly common knowledge that freehand beats the shite out of illustrator even.

Detroit, MI
Domu wrote:

i can vouch for fontographer being good. I draw the vectors in illustrator and create the font using fontographer. i have heard people praising the vector drawing abiity in fontographer, and its fairly common knowledge that freehand beats the shite out of illustrator even.

I'll give this a try! Thanks~

West Yorks, UK

no problem. il check the font when ive got time to do so! approve of anyone getting into type design. guessing ur tool is fonstruct yahh?

Detroit, MI
Domu wrote:

no problem. il check the font when ive got time to do so! approve of anyone getting into type design. guessing ur tool is fonstruct yahh?

I've been using BitFontMaker from this site which is basically the same thing. I remember a professor showing us fontstruct a couple years ago, it looks like fun! I never got around to using it much.

West Yorks, UK

cheers for the info there, Nursey! wink