Malapascua, phillipines

we should form a small group and write a sega genesis demo . last time i wrote a demo was by myself in 2011 and it was a win98 demo .... i suck at code so if you want to do it we need a coder, and 3 great 16-bit graphic artist , and 2 musicians (me and someone else) . i know it kinda sounds lame and Desperate but everytime i asked someone from csdb they rejected my offer....
but yeah it would be totally rad if you guys were willing to do it and spare a week or two on  this .
i was thinking a warewolf up-beat theme ... like were warewolfs are dancing on rubix cubes then the rubix cubes explode after a certain note then the screen shows the night sky with a 3D star spinning like crazy ... idk sounds really fukin crazy but like i said if your willing to do it just comment below

Alabama

Have you ever tried writing for the Sega Genesis? Do you know which sound driver you would want to use?

You would probably be better off asking this somewhere like spritesmind or sonicretro rather than here, I think hmm

Boise, ID

where wolf?

UK, Leicester

there wolf

ba dum tss

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
nitro pulse wrote:

we should form a small group and write a sega genesis demo . last time i wrote a demo was by myself in 2011 and it was a win98 demo .... i suck at code so if you want to do it we need a coder, and 3 great 16-bit graphic artist , and 2 musicians (me and someone else) . i know it kinda sounds lame and Desperate but everytime i asked someone from csdb they rejected my offer....
but yeah it would be totally rad if you guys were willing to do it and spare a week or two on  this .
i was thinking a warewolf up-beat theme ... like were warewolfs are dancing on rubix cubes then the rubix cubes explode after a certain note then the screen shows the night sky with a 3D star spinning like crazy ... idk sounds really fukin crazy but like i said if your willing to do it just comment below

A week or two is not a lot of time for this type of project. Even if you find some experienced coders who are very familiar with the Genesis, much of demo coding involves iterative finessing of code. Also, don't be fooled by the concept in your head. A good demo is rarely an easy feat, you might want to load up on coders. Art and music is important but there will be a lot more work in programming. In fact, in many demo projects each coder works on only a single screen or two and something visually simple like some interpolated bitmap manipulation can take a lot of work, whereas something seemingly complex like a moiré pattern can be done very easily.

That said, I think the most important factor in a good demo is dedication and passion. Even the best coders won't get much value if they can't get and stay passionate about the project and on the flip side a poor coder will be able to learn a lot and produce an often surprisingly great project if they can keep the passion coming, so I recommend you look for passion over skill.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jun 16, 2014 2:44 am)

These days I think the best way to get a demo done is to learn to code yourself.   There are a large amount of musicians in the demoscene, (good) graphic artists less so and coders are the rarest of the lot, particularly as you're choosing relatively obscure platforms to work on.

You mentioned CSDB, personally if I had to choose to learn 68000 (Genesis) or 6510 first (C64) I'd go for C64.  It's a lot easier to get to
grips with and there is a wealth of information and tutorials.  I mean, look at this for a start, or this for a simple tutorial.

But, either way, these days there are tonnes of resources for coding, getting tools, setting up an environment.  It's far, far easier to get
into demo coding than it's ever been.  If you want to know how something is done it's usually a google away.

Going from scratch, two weeks work would probably get you a picture on screen with a scroller and music playing if you put your hand to it.
Plus you get the benefit of total control, and whenever you want to make a demo you can just get on with making it.  (which is what the demoscene is all about really)