West Yorks, UK

Hey guys, anyone have experience with this dynamics processor? I was wondering if the sidechain input it features allows for sidechain compression / ducking of the lvel of the affected signal? I cant find any explicit references to what the sidechain in / out is for, seems to be part of some kind of send / return loop.

Can It make mah bass pump?!

Planet Zaxxon

I don't have experience with it specifically, but it seems so yes. Just send your "trigger" sound, such a steady kick drum to the sidechain input, and it will initiate the "ducking" volume on your master stereo signal you have going through it. I am not sure why there is a sidechain output though, I have not seen that before. I guess if you wanted to send a signal out to trigger something else at the same time, you could use the sidechain output.

IL, US

i had the 1600, if i remember, the sidechain out was sort of intended for situations where one might want the main signal as run through an eq or processor for the sidechain input

West Yorks, UK

but e.s.c; the sidechain in indeed can be used to automate the level of the affected signal, yes? I thought if so itd be more apparent from the front controlls and rear i/o's. But it isnt!

IL, US

yep, thats what sidechain is for...this is what i was talking about

website wrote:

Tame That Frequency: A Band-Sensitive Compressor

You can also use a sidechain to tune a compressor so that it’s most effective around certain frequencies. This is essentially the concept behind a de-esser. To use a compressor in this way, feed a heavily EQ’d version of the track in question into your compressor’s sidechain input.

For instance, if you had a bass with one particularly out-of-control note, or a singer whose voice sounds overwhelming in a certain range, you could use an EQ to emphasize those frequencies, and then send that signal into the sidechain input. Conversely, if the low frequency content of a signal is causing a compressor to go haywire, a sidechain EQ can ensure that it only reacts to mid-frequency content.

Fortunately, many modern-style plugin compressors, like Pro Tools’ Dynamics III have a sidechain EQ feature like this built right in, and need no extra routing to achieve this effect. But if you want to use a vintage-style plugin or piece of hardware, getting up and running is not difficult at all.

If you think it through, you’ll come to realize that this kind of band-sensitive approach lies at the root of any multiband compressor. In fact, using sidechains and duplicate channels, you could feasibly create a multiband processor out of just about any plugin compressor you own.

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/06/27/be … mpression/

West Yorks, UK

yep i just wanted to confirm the fact. cheers for the info also!

sweden

Had the mdx2000 many years ago, pumping sidechain was no problem smile

West Yorks, UK

awesome. picking one up from work for £34 tomorrow.  I was aiming at an Alesis 3630, but the price difference is significant for me at the moment! big_smile Thanks all!

Anyone comment on Alesis 3630 vs. the Behringers?

Last edited by Domu (Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm)

West Yorks, UK

can the sidechain inputs of these behringers be used to control the gate kicking in?