logan city, UT, USA

so, iv'e been spending the last few weeks surfing the web on how to put audio-in jacks for the square waves, and triaingle waves on an NES, so i can plug a keyord,guitar, or what have you with a 1/4" jack into an NES, and all i have been able to do is the "prosound" thingy i keep reading about, which is basically adding a amp out jack on it, and it works fine, but i want the input to work too. . . : (

help please?? : (

Indiana

oh gosh, I can't tell if this is a serious request.

the nes doesn't have an audio in of any kind. there would be no reason to input audio into an nes.

Medina, Ohio

All laughs aside, this is what I would use. The Chip Maestro lets you plug MIDI instruments into the console / cartridge to control the sounds.

http://www.soniktech.com/chipmaestro/

You could then use a computer to convert sound into MIDI, but that can get laggy if you are using an old machine, and I hve yet to find a free solution, especially for polyphony. I think it would be sweet however to use a Casio MG-510 MIDI guitar or something with it.

logan city, UT, USA

thanks guys for such a quick response! anamanaguchi was able to put audio-in so they could plug their guitars (and electric drums) in:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/t … managuchi/

also, i've heard of people (a lot actually) doing this with Gameboy DMGs, any tips?

soniktech is pretty legitimate, but I don't think you have to do it through the chip though, thanks! i'm just desparate to play 8 bit on my guitar : )

Last edited by The8BitMachine (Jul 1, 2014 8:17 pm)

Indiana

I'm so confused. None of those things are audio into the nes. they described some extra audio channels from a cart (like kitsch is doing with his gameboy cart to my understanding), as well as splitting the individual channels into separate outputs.

I still don't see any reason you'd want audio running into the nes. MIDI makes sense, maybe that's what you mean?

logan city, UT, USA

here's what i did to my NES:

file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1264.JPG
file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1262.JPG
file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1263.JPG
file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1265.JPG
file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1268.JPG
file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1266.JPG
file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1269.JPG
file:///Users/ownerowner/Desktop/IMG_1267.JPG

if i plug my guitar into one of the two jacks on right side, and the NES into the amp, i hear JUST the guitar, or whatever else i plug into it, but no 8 bit sounds : (

logan city, UT, USA

sorry if you have to copy - paste the images into a separate address bar, but the 'audio - in' actually works, just. . .not exactly how i wanted it to
: (  and honestly, if you can explain to me EXACTLY how anamanaguchi did their mods, than my post's purpose will be fulfilled : )
and yes, something like MIDI input is what i'm looking for

Last edited by The8BitMachine (Jul 1, 2014 9:11 pm)

Indiana

I'm not sure how to view those images you linked, but are you trying to have the nes process your audio in some way, or just like act as a conduit for multiple sound sources?

If the latter, why not use a mixer? If there's some way to process incoming audio with the nes, however, then I can't help you. I've never heard of anything like that, but it sounds like it'd be sweet!

Last edited by Fudgers (Jul 1, 2014 9:16 pm)

Indiana

As far as MIDI options goes, there are a few options.

There's Chipmaestro, mentioned earlier in the thread, that works well. I prefer the midines, which does basically the same thing, but can be a bit of a hassle to acquire; I'd steer clear of buying one from the first party seller.

There's also this thread: (http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14641 … c-the-nes/) which has some options you might find interesting. You'll need some kind of guitar midi controller if you want that style of control as well.

There are some modern midi guitars that work very well, but they're really pricey. Something like the casio DG-20 won't work as well but they run about $150 and have some retro appeal wink

Last edited by Fudgers (Jul 1, 2014 9:26 pm)

logan city, UT, USA

just copy/paste them into the address bar of your browser.

bottom line: i want to be able to plug my electric guitar into the NES, and than the NES into my amp, and play 8 bit stuff, i just don'tknow how to do that exactly : (

Indiana

Use a mixer to sum multiple sound sources into one output for your amp.

Something cheap like the Behringer Xenyx series will get you started. Can buy one on Amazon or most places that sell audio equipment.

If you mean using a guitar to control 8-bit sounds, you need to use MIDI as described above.

Last edited by Fudgers (Jul 1, 2014 9:33 pm)

Michigan
The8BitMachine wrote:

just copy/paste them into the address bar of your browser.

Dude, those are local images. No one aside from yourself having access to YOUR computer can see them. lol

UK, Leicester

OP, what you want to do isn't possible. You can't just plug a guitar into an NES and make your music sound like an NES game. That's not what anamanaguchi do, and its not what anyone does (apart from that C64 bass lady)
The images you posted links to are only on your computer, not hosted on the internet, so no one can see them other than you.

logan city, UT, USA

haha sry XD but they are basically pics of my NES that has two 'input' 1/4''  jacks on the right side, and one 'output' jack on the left

i didn't want to spend money on a mixer, or MIDI/1/4'' jack box (they're out there) but looks like i might have to. . .

any other suggestions would be appreciated : )

logan city, UT, USA

the way anamanaguchi has theirs hooked up, is that the NES basically acts like a stompbox, or guitar effects pedal, it has power,input,and output(stereo or mono), and i guess i'm missing something, but what????

Parts Unkown

I was able to see your pics and it looks like you are almost there.  Just connect a wire from your input jack to the flux capacitor in the nes and it should work.  Hope this helps!