Los Angeles

I am doing a Pro Sound Mod on a DMG and been having a smooth time soldering the RCA and such but when it comes to soldering the wires to the PCB on the Ground, Left, and Right, the wires would come right off those connectors and the ground wire pulled up the trace next to the ground connector at the bottom of the 5 leading to the middle copper pad. It fully came off I am afraid I fucked up! Is it going to effect the audio connection if so is it possible to fix? I purchased a conductive pen. This is my first DMG project I am literally almost done with the mod and this happened smh. Please Help!

It's fine, man. You should practice soldering a bit before you dive in, but if you keep at it you can complete this mod fine. Make sure you are tinning your wires. Get some solder on the wire before you try to connect it to the pcb. Then, maybe try placing the wire on top of the pin and pushing the iron down on it until it melts through. Really just watch this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY

The ground is ground, so it'll be fine as long as you get it all connected.

Los Angeles

Thank you for your response man you are totally right! I just dived in you know out of being eager to start chip tuning lol. Thank you for your advice!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just be very careful soldering around the lifted pad, if it sheers it may be very difficult to make a connection to.

If it comes off completely then try following the trace back to the other end, use a multimeter to confirm you've found the right spot and see if it's possible to solder a wire from there to bridge the damaged area.

Los Angeles

Hmm! Ok so i bought some new wire actually i was out of my mind for using 18 gauge wire so i got 24 wired them in the correct spots and now I'm getting no sound from RCA or the speaker on the gameboy. Now I must mention the sound was working when the trace lifted so i don't think that should be the issue any suggestions on what the problem could be I posted some photos hopefully they are helpful in seeing if maybe I connected them wrong. sad

Assuming black is ground it looks like you need to switch green and black but these pictures are terrible. The post nearest the copper is ground.

Los Angeles
ecce homo wrote:

Assuming black is ground it looks like you need to switch green and black but these pictures are terrible. The post nearest the copper is ground.

The green is ground black is left. I know my phone is the worst im awaiting my new Galaxy in the mail please bare with me. I should of mentioned that before though,.

Yeah you want black to be ground and red to be right. Justdoitover   . You've gotbad solders orsomething touching that shouldn't be  . Use a magnifying glass and scrape a bit with a razor blade betweensolder point s to make sure nothing's connected that shouldn't be.  What is that blue box on the phono plus in the first shot?

Los Angeles

Ok I'm going to take another run at doing this again when I wake up and update on what happens! That could be a possibility I'll have to examine that. Wow the pictures are that bad lol its the ribbon cable that connects the screen. if we are looking at the same thing.

I know what it is but you really need a bit finer fidelity for this stuff. It looks maybe you have extremely long bits of bare wire going onto the phono plugs which could definitely cause your problem, but maybe that's totally inaccurate because I can't tell from the photos.

Ribbon cable. That makes sense smile

Los Angeles

How long should they be? The longest bare wire is the one connected to both ground rings on the phono plugs. As well I lost audio to the speaker on the gameboy when soldering the wires to the post volume from the phono plugs.

You need to undo all your solders and see if you get sound back. If you don't then you either have shorts or you broke something. You probably have shorts.

Michigan

I have shorts! I don't wear them very often though because I have to wear long pants at work.

matt's mind

heart

Los Angeles

its alive its alive! the pro mod works when I plugged it into a Bluetooth speaker aux at work. I redone the solders but the sound doesn't work out the speaker anymore or the old headphone jack which is weird because all I did was add wires to the post vol section of the pcb to the phono jacks. but it works and sounds great when plugged into the Bluetooth speaker from the newly installed phonos. I didn't cut any wires from the headphone jack so it should still be working the other way around.

It's gotta be a hot pants problem then. If you turn the volume pot does it effect the sound from the phono jacks in any way? It's super easy to short against those pre pot terminals and not know it.