The Rubber Man

Yo.

Supposedly, I'll be in Tokyo in 2 months from now. Or so.
I'll be there for something like 5 dayz.
Any suggestions/advises, guys, what might be important?

Also, I have 72 000 yens for the staying/living there. But I don't know whether it's enough for beer+food (well, beer mostly, in my case, obviously) or is it not?

Anywayz. Any help would be deeply appreciated. wink

Greetzzz,
Y

Oklahoma City, OK

Ooooo very nice, I hear the indie music scene in Japan is incredible, go check out a show if you can/feel inclined to! As well as the arcades, of course. Also, I think 72,000 yen is roughly = to $750 USD? For 5 days that should be enough, just pace yourself. Japan is an expensive country.

Happy trails!

Brunswick, GA USA

My understanding is, you have the right idea; find your friends and stay with them for best results. Also, see if you can get yourself some more 円. Beware the exchange rate, bring the right passport, and have fun.

Last edited by chunter (Jul 8, 2014 2:18 am)

vancouver, canada

Yeah, if you know any friends and you want to crash somewhere, that definitely helps save on money. 

however, you can easily hostel for around 2,500 yen / night, which should leave you with a nice stash of money left over.  since you're performing, you should 1) contact the other visiting artists and coordinate a place to stay (for the last few years most people have been staying at the Khaosan Tokyo Ninja hostel), and 2) talk to the square sounds staff to see what other options you have.

but seriously though, you're going to have such a blast hanging out with other artists and chip guys anyway that you're going to forget about your worries about having enough money to spend.

Brooklon

Do not bother with friends.

Do not bother with chiptune.

Eat all the okonomiyaki, omusoba, omurice, takoyaki, tuskemono, hiyashi chuuka, zarusoba, tensoba, yakitori, kushiyaki, ikayaki, kegani, and katsu curry ramen that you can.

Drink all the Boss Black, Boss Rainbow, Silky Black, C.C. Lemon, Strong Zero (grapefuit), Strong Zero (Ume), Asahi SuperDry, nama shibori grapefruit sour, oolong-hi, and shochu that you can.

Sleep on the street to save your money for Hard Off and gacha gacha machines.

That is all.

Do that and you'll have an excellent time (although I'd bring more than 72000, personally).

Last edited by Note! (Jul 8, 2014 12:25 pm)

Yokohama, Japan

I'm here in Japan.
Wow Yerzmyey in Japan, I didn't know you were playing here can't wait to see the gig.

Anyway, As bryface said you can get hostels for reasonable prices here, so if the 72000yen is for only staying and eating and if you have extra for spending I think you should be ok.
If that is the total you will have and you want to do some shopping then I think it is going to be tight.

If you do get the funds for shopping Japan is an awesome place, especially Akihabara.
The place I recommend in Akiba, for your retro gaming needs is a place called Super Potato,
http://otakumode.com/sp/visit_japan/akihabara/at003.
Actually there are so many great places in Akihabara, you could spend days there (and I have).

Apart from that if you like traditional Japan there are lots of Temples and Shrines even around Tokyo, you can go and see. And unless you want to go inside (the actual building) they are all pretty much free.

If you have people to go with also Karaoke is lots of fun.

Just thought of another place to stay (not very comfortable thought) is an internet cafe. You can spend a little and stay the night, plus you get endless use of net (with a private booth) and all you can read manga. Some places even have free coffee.

Hope that helps

Alive and well in fucksville

arent there vending machines full of worn panties (for sniffing) there too?

Boulder, CO
Note! wrote:

Do not bother with friends.

Do not bother with chiptune.

Eat all the okonomiyaki, omusoba, omurice, takoyaki, tuskemono, hiyashi chuuka, zarusoba, tensoba, yakitori, kushiyaki, ikayaki, kegani, and katsu curry ramen that you can.

Drink all the Boss Black, Boss Rainbow, Silky Black, C.C. Lemon, Strong Zero (grapefuit), Strong Zero (Ume), Asahi SuperDry, nama shibori grapefruit sour, oolong-hi, and shochu that you can.

Sleep on the street to save your money for Hard Off and gacha gacha machines.

That is all.

Do that and you'll have an excellent time (although I'd bring more than 72000, personally).

N0te, you didn't mention beer!

From what I remember, beer is expensive in Japan. Drink japanese hard liquor or sake for best effect.

tokyo

Should be enough cash, just be careful as DBOYD said, its pretty easy to spend money here. smile

I've been living here about a month, send me a message if you wanna hang out, find some food, drink some beer, play a show, stare at some computer screens, whatever. smile

The Rubber Man

Thx a lot guyz, it all is MOST appreciated. I will consider it (and try to get some additional 20 000 yens then).

Additionally -

Dboyd: so I will consider to get more yens then. wink Thx.

Chunter: yes, I will remember about it. And yes - that's why I try to get those money with me, bought from here, You know.

Bryface: Yes dude, that's what actually I'm talkin'bout. It will be the "Ninja hostel" indeed and we already booked it. (I hope, hahahah). Also - yes, I indeed intended to contact the other visiting artists and... get wasted, huhuhuhuhu.
I'm in contact with the Square Sounds staff - at least as much as it possible in their circumstances. wink

> but seriously though, you're going to have such a blast hanging out with other artists and chip guys anyway that you're going to forget about your worries about having enough money to spend.
-----------------------
Thx dude, will remember about it. smile

Note! - man, I will........... NOTE it down. wink
And - "although I'd bring more than 72000, personally" - hmm, another vote for it. So that's what will be done. Thank You very much.

Booga: Thanx a lot. Yeah, I hope ppl might be interested in the European "italo-disco / dance" in the chiptune edition. wink Hahaha.

> If that is the total you will have and you want to do some shopping then I think it is going to be tight.
-----------------
OK, another "headzup". Thx mate. Will be saving the money further. Still have some time for it.

> The place I recommend in Akiba, for your retro gaming needs is a place called Super Potato
--------------
Yes, it sounds interesting. Actually I do have a b&w GameBoy + the GameBoy Advance. And almost no cartridge-games for them. So that's the idea, I have to admit. Cheerz.

> If you have people to go with also Karaoke is lots of fun.
------------------------
I will take my niece with me. But she cannot sing, haha. wink
Hmmmmmm. And my voice ALSO isn't nice. http://soytnbg.i-demo.pl/19_SOYT!NBG-Th … bonus).mp3

Bitjacker:
Yes, that's surely what I will have in mind too. :->

Adam: a funny thing, that's exactly what I've heard from our ZX Spectrum programmer - Hellboi. The problem is, I'm far too old for any strong&strange liquors. So I will have to stay with beer even if it's expensive (haha). wink

Freedrull: of course dude, I really wanna use the time to meet as many JP or JP-based micromusic-blokes as possible.
And get wasted.

Ah. Did I mention it before? Probably yes. :->

Brooklon
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

N0te, you didn't mention beer!

From what I remember, beer is expensive in Japan. Drink japanese hard liquor or sake for best effect.

Note! wrote:

Asahi SuperDry

Pay attention, Adam.

If you are worried that beer will be too expensive, you can drink happoshu (a weird chemical beer that is basically the uncanny valley of beers). They are cheaper than beer (bc they don't use the ingredients in beer that are taxed by the j govt) but will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth and a helluva hangover. The only one I ever found palatable was Kin-Mugi (the blue can). Drank that shit for years but probably only saved a collective 10 bucks haha.

The Rubber Man

Ah, looks good indeed.

And 5% of alcohol is rather decent, for a light "beer".
Thx a lot Note, it's most useful.

Brooklon

That's it!! Mai baebi!! You're half way to hangover, my friend.

For real tho, have an excellent time. Its such a wonderful place. Travel outside of Tokyo, if you can. Tokyo is a weird bubble and Japan is really at its best outside of the metropolitan area imo. Have all the fun!!

Yeahhh! Super stoked to see you play for sure!

The Rubber Man

Note! -

Hahahaha, really thx a lot. wink

Mk:

Thank You, I do hope there will come something reasonable out of it.
Especially I'm afraid if they will allow me to take all the hardware on airports and planes. Grrrrr.
Another thing is, the Yamaha PSS-680 needs permanent battery-power, in order to keep the custom synthesized instruments.
So - if they will force me to take-off the batteries from the Yamaha, before entering the plane, then  I could also go back home instantly, haha.

UK, Leicester
YERZMYEY wrote:

Note! -

Hahahaha, really thx a lot. wink

Mk:

Thank You, I do hope there will come something reasonable out of it.
Especially I'm afraid if they will allow me to take all the hardware on airports and planes. Grrrrr.
Another thing is, the Yamaha PSS-680 needs permanent battery-power, in order to keep the custom synthesized instruments.
So - if they will force me to take-off the batteries from the Yamaha, before entering the plane, then  I could also go back home instantly, haha.

I make sure to write down all of the custom instruments on paper first, I've never travelled with mine, but I can't have constant power going into it.