London, UK

Hi guys, just curious to know.. I just started with LSDj a couple of months ago so I am brand new to chiptuning, but I managed to get my hands on a Nanoloop 2.5 cart for my micro, and since I know that there is plenty of versions I want to know which one is a "must have", or if there's a VERY bad one..! Also, if you have some suggestions on nanoloop 1.x, thanks!

Cheers big_smile

Alive and well in fucksville

I think all nanoloops are works of art. some things are different in each release. 1.0 was what captured me. 2.6 is really neat because of the ability to randomize a loop (I really got a feel of the distinct essence of each scale this way).
The need our brains have for archiving plays in to the novelty or gimmick of a melody that is catchy. When there is no true set sequence there is nothing really to expect or even grasp. Not having note names forces you to count intervals or just experiment without the fuss of theory.
Releases which do show the note are good in another way. I entered some of the notes from bela bartok's microkosmos this way. nothing is funner than hungarian waltz through a kaoss pad!

I have only played with 2.6 and 2.7 and I think 2.7 is absolutely fantastic. By introducing the step pause, it can give so much more variety to your loops, e. g. even melody variations like putting a step pause for the 3rd round on step 3, another note on step 2 which is only played in the 3rd round with maximum delay, so that it actually plays on step 3, but only in the 3rd round. Though I am missing the easy switch between voices and parameters without going to the menu, but I guess you can't have it all smile

Ok, I'll break it down for you:
What is unique for each version of Nanoloop?
(just listing the most important stuff)

1.x - 1.2
FM synthesis on wave-channel, very unique sound that you won't be able to replicate even with LSDj.
Pulse channels are paired into one, instead you control pitch offset/detune. There is a neat control over stereo distribution.
Some commands can be triggered without a note, you can thus create some nice glide & pan effects.

Arpeggio feature with pre-determined "chords" - can be cycled very quick which will create some interesting sounds
Note re-trig feature
Has an especially nice pitch envelope, great for making pitched bassdrums.
(Pulse channels are now separated)
(Very stable release)

This one features a small chip on the cart that feeds a third pulse voice as a detune effect.
This release is quite 'meh' imo!

AKA "One" - this is the "PCB cart".
Custom arpeggios w/ note retrig function both on pulse and noise (great for quick percussion sounds etc)
"Free" LFO-mode. LFO is not retrigged by each note trig.
Note names instead of blocks
Microtonal-ish feature (slight detuning)
New envelope type: can be super short without decay (quite useful actually)

2.x - 2.2
8 identical channels with FM, noise, subtractive and "8bit-like" synthesis.
Can have different pattern length on each channel
No pitch envelope, but LFO can be used for such a modulation.
Can record song as data stream and render with 16-bit waveforms on PC.

2.3 - 2.6
Back to basics, this adapts the "layout" of classic NL;
S-channel: Chord-mode, LFO/env modulates timbre/filter
R, L-channel: Arpeggio, LFO/env modulates pitch
N channel: noise channel, LFO/env modulates filter
Has FM and subtractive synthesis. Crude 2-OP linear FM - my fav!
Very streamlined interface!
Also different pattern length, ping-pong, reverse and random mode.

FM-waveforms are now in higher resolution, this removes panning features of L & R-channels due to size limitations.
Note retrig for noise, L, R. (Like 1.6)
Wider stereo effect in noise & S-channel (when using chords)
New envelope mode (softer attack)
Free LFO (see above)
Step-pause function: you can set a step to trigger every 2nd, 3rd, etc time - Very cool!

There are far more things to mention (especially in older versions)
I actually intended to make a nanoloop wiki to list ALL the features, with manuals (remade in PDF for readability) and all that fluff. But I got caught up with other things.

Last edited by _-_- (Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm)

London, UK

cheers guys! It all sounds very complicated to me, for now, but I'll keep studying big_smile Also, since I already have the 2.5, would there be any other version that I should get for some standalone/particular features, also in the 1.x range?

California

Best one evr imo due to the wav retrigger
awesome basslines

IL, US

im selling the last of my 1.3 carts right now ($120 shipped in US, will ship overseas for extra cash), they dont pop up for sale as often these days

Boise, ID

I would really like a 1.3, but $... hmm

I highly recommend nanoloop one as it is the only 1.x cart that can be updated (via the USB-MIDI). The first major update is around the corner and the next batch of carts (ready in about 2 weeks) will come with 1.7 already.
Besides some new stuff, this version basically combines the sound of 1.3 with some of 2.7's sequencing functions. I'll post more info in a new thread soon.

IL, US

if a one cart is upgraded to 1.7, and the user for some reason wants to go back to 1.6.3, will that be an option?

You can always go back to the original version (1.6.3 in almost all cases) by pressing select+start on the boot screen which will delete any update installed. The original version is in the protected part of the flash and cannot be erased or overwritten.

IL, US

nice, good to know smile

California

Oliver implement wav retrigger again that was the best thing to happen to WAV channel