UK

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of putting together a few packs of chiptune samples for commercial release and hoped some of you may be able to help me with a query.

Obviously, with riffs and sounds I create, I can freely distribute them so no problem there. However, I wondered if it is cool to sample individual drum hits from the included kits in LSDJ, in the way many sound library producers have sampled the Roland 808, 909 etc?

Any advice would be really appreciated

Taichung, Taiwan

Are you asking which drums to use or how to make samples?

King's Lynn, UK
katsumbhong wrote:

Are you asking which drums to use or how to make samples?

I don't think he means either. The enquiry seems to be about whether he can use the lsdj kits, but just take a sample of each different sound they make and songs with them elsehow. Whether or not it's legal to take those sounds individually and sell them in a pack of chip samples.

Not sure about the legality myself, but if it seems sketchy, probably best not to bother.

Last edited by HillyOTM (Jul 15, 2014 10:17 pm)

UK

Yes HillyOTM, you got it. I've tried emailing the info address on http://www.littlesounddj.com but haven't heard back as yet.

I'm aware I could create my own custom kits, which I will do too, but it would be cool to use some of the sounds that are there already.

Always an area of much debate, the sampling of existing sounds!

As mentioned though, I could sample a 909 and that'd be cool, so I don't see too much difference. But I want my packs to be legit smile

hiding under your bed

Wait- I'm not sure I understand.
One of us is very confused right now.
You want to sample the sounds included in the kits in LSDJ?
You do realize that those are samples of other things, themselves, right?
I mean-

Glitchedtones wrote:

in the way many sound library producers have sampled the Roland 808, 909 etc

There are literally 808 and 909 kits in LSDJ.

You're wanting to sample some samples?

Glitchedtones wrote:

This is a terrible idea and you shouldn't do it.

but these packs already exist on the internet tho  wink

Last edited by an0va (Jul 16, 2014 4:19 pm)

UK, Leicester

Don't make money off of someone else's work dickhead

Last edited by Alpine (Jul 15, 2014 11:59 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan

Re-read the original post.

No, it is not cool to do that.

UK
PianoGameboy wrote:

You're wanting to sample some samples?

Well, yes, but clearly I want to record them because of their distinct sound in LSDJ

UK
Knife Crimes wrote:
Glitchedtones wrote:

This is a terrible idea and you shouldn't do it.

Why is this such a terrible idea? People have been sampling instruments for years and packs in most genres prove very popular.

UK
Alpine wrote:

Don't make money off of someone else's work dickhead

Thanks for that mature response. I am surprised to find trollish behaviour on a forum I thought would be welcoming and supportive.

UK

Thanks for your replies all the same guys, I guess I'll have to just compile my own kits and resample them for my drum hits, not a bother smile

To answer your question, this would be illegal/immoral and everything in between.

Granada, Spain

We are making music with gaemboyz, I though that everything can be done, even sampling through the Game Boy WAV samples, they just dont sound like an classic 808/909, i understand your point of view glitchedtones.

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:49 am)