Los Angeles, CA
Glitchedtones wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of putting together a few packs of chiptune samples for commercial release

He's saying he wants to sample the stock kits in lsdj, and add them into a sample pack that he intends to sell.  That is where the rub is.

Granada, Spain

Ok, now i get it.
Thats not really nice, man.

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:47 am)

sweden

But for some reason it was totally fine for LSDJ to rip of this poor Japanese company that made musical rhythm devices? I'm obviously trolling here, but this is not as black and white as many of you would like to think. I can't say for sure, but it feels pretty unlikely that LSDJ paid a license to Roland to be able to use these samples. Also a lot of Roland x0x drummachines are already sample based to it's already a sample of a sample, where do you draw the line anyway? I would even go as far as saying that the sounds of the 909 and 808 are so widely spread today that there is almost a feel of those sounds being public domain today with the endless emulation. Those sounds are pretty much electronic music 101.

/rambling

perth, WA

^

i would personally re-sample my own kits into LSDJ, for peace of mind / clear conscience

Unsubscribe

I think its fine, especially if you happened to remaster the samples to have more OMPH or through high end outboard gears. Its not like johan took these samples from his own gear, im guessing they where a quick port from some hollow sun type sample pack.

Also: it would be awesome if someone remastered the LSDJ samples themselves IN Lsdj because they could totally sound better than they do.

Madison, Alabama
herr_prof wrote:

I think its fine, especially if you happened to remaster the samples to have more OMPH or through high end outboard gears. Its not like johan took these samples from his own gear, im guessing they where a quick port from some hollow sun type sample pack.

Also: it would be awesome if someone remastered the LSDJ samples themselves IN Lsdj because they could totally sound better than they do.

All of this.

Unsubscribe

I would venture that if this dude did a remaster of the lsdj stock samples and offered the kits for free as a promo for his commercial sample pack, it would be cool with everyone.

UK, Leicester
Glitchedtones wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Don't make money off of someone else's work dickhead

Thanks for that mature response. I am surprised to find trollish behaviour on a forum I thought would be welcoming and supportive.

Sorry mate, I'll rephrase my post. In my opinion, sampling the LSDJ kits, and selling them commercially is, for lack of a better word, a "dick move"
I'm all for free samples, the chip scene already has ready access to many samples, from as far back as the atari 2600 (and even further) and making a pack like this would be redundant.
It's also damaging to the scene. One of the great things about us is that we aren't really big on buying stuff that isn't gear, there are masses of places to get good samples, without paying a single penny.
Also, there's the ethical issue, but that's kinda double standards-y for me to get into, my main problem is the fact that that you're selling access to samples.

UK, Leicester
herr_prof wrote:

I would venture that if this dude did a remaster of the lsdj stock samples and offered the kits for free as a promo for his commercial sample pack, it would be cool with everyone.

yeah, but then the question is what other stuff has he sampled from for his for money sample pack?

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

if i actually used LSDJ on the regular, i would.. not like making kits is that hard, and mastering individual hits takes pretty much no time

Creating and selling a sample pack is a totally valid practice in music production guys! Some genres have an entire history that is built around the use/overuse of a single sample pack, too. nordloef and herr_prof have it nailed, but the cost should be accurate to the processing and additional treatment done to the samples, not just for the curation of the pack I think

All I'm sayin is that the vanilla LSDJ drum samples definitely exist on the net already as a free pack, though. But hey, if you look hard enough you'll find enough free sample packs of anything - so if you find a sample pack that's charging, they usually try to make it unique so you won't find it anywhere else. wink it's no big deal IMO

Last edited by an0va (Jul 16, 2014 4:36 pm)

Unsubscribe
Alpine wrote:

yeah, but then the question is what other stuff has he sampled from for his for money sample pack?

If he took the time to professionally record and mix samples, who cares? Once you pay for LSDJ you can do whatever you want with the sounds. If he hasn't done enough to make them sound good, then he probably wont sell very many packs.

Unsubscribe
e.s.c. wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

if i actually used LSDJ on the regular, i would.. not like making kits is that hard, and mastering individual hits takes pretty much no time

Id probaly pay some cash for a full redo of the stock LSDJ kits with higher quality in lsdj kit format fwiw.

IL, US

i might do it then, im a little busy the next two weeks, but after that i might have a few days to go through them. actually have to work with the 2400 or so samples i recorded from my bent rx17 too

Unsubscribe

Y E S. The idea is drop in replacement for songs that use existing samples big_smile