UK
Alpine wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I would venture that if this dude did a remaster of the lsdj stock samples and offered the kits for free as a promo for his commercial sample pack, it would be cool with everyone.

yeah, but then the question is what other stuff has he sampled from for his for money sample pack?

Any samples I have put out for sale have been all my own work. I recently pulled a circuit bent Speak & Spell pack as I was unsure of the clearance of some of the non-bent original letters and phrases, that was an area of much debate, too.

But to me, and as has already been mentioned, if you've paid for the software, then surely you can use it as you please.

nordloef got it bang on what he said regarding the Roland samples. Guys who have put out packs of the drum sounds aren't giving Roland any royalties... However, if I could get in touch with Johan, I'd be happy to discuss a profit share, if this made it legit.

I don't agree with Alpine's opinion that it is damaging to the scene, I'm not targetting chiptune producers with my planned sample pack. But how would that be damaging anyway? I give away plenty of freebies and am not some commercial whore of a sample house.

It's for the guys who want some genuine chip sounds who don't get deep into chiptune using LSDJ, Nanoloop etc. It's easy access to niche sounds that I'm hoping producers will enjoy and get some good use out of. I'm sure they aren't going to be your rivals and sell out the chiptune scene!

Last edited by Glitchedtones (Jul 16, 2014 5:46 pm)

Indiana

what a weird thread, this guy's idea seems fine

IL, US

also, for those concerned that this is somehow a thing that would require clearance for copyright reasons: if it were a problem, then anyone buying a tr-626 would need to clear it for every track they ever make with it through roland and it would make buying almost any software or hardware super silly...the only way it would be wrong would be if you were reselling samples you obtained from someone else's full tracks or official licensed sample packs (which are sold in a way which grant you a limited license to use them in your productions, not to resell the samples as-is)

Last edited by e.s.c. (Jul 16, 2014 6:05 pm)

France (au milieu)

It's for the guys who want some genuine chip sounds who don't get deep into chiptune using LSDJ, Nanoloop etc.

Kill them all!!! smile

Gosford, Australia

didn't little scale already do a "remaster" of the default LSDJ kits?

IL, US

did he? ill do it if he hasnt, but not exactly the thing id most like to do with my time if its not needed smile

United States

don't forget to remaster the unathorized dj assault samples too

IL, US

nah, those will all be replaced by farts mic'd at different distances