I've found a lot of tutorials online that were helpful for me to understand how to setup the beginning of a song on only the 1st line on the song screen (i.e. PU1, PU2, WAV & NOI). I've searched a lot looking for a tutorial that shows just beyond this to get an idea how some people setup their song beyond just the 1st line and really build an entire song out line for line on the song screen.

I've also found many advanced tutorials that have a lot of the lines on the song screen already filled in. I'm looking for how to start building the 2nd line out and beyond that but can't really find anything that walks me though the process like this. I want to see people's techniques. Do they copy and paste from the 1st line, start from scratch on the 2nd line or both? I'm sure everybody does things different but I'd really like to find some tutorials on this process. Please let me know if you can direct me to a YouTube video or reading material if there isn't a good YouTube video on this. Even if there is an advanced video that shows this process in it I'd like to see that also.

Last edited by NES Fresh (Jul 19, 2014 9:33 am)

Washington, PA

Press down on the D-Pad and start filling in the second line. You can either use the same chains as the first line, make new chains or clone them.

Your song is made of chains, which are made up of phrases with the notes of each instrument. Making a new line on the song screen is as easy as inputting what chain comes next. I'd also recommend making all of your chains have the same number of phrases, so each channel plays for the same length before going to the next line.

I hope I'm making sense here, because I'm posting at work without LSDJ handy.

Here's a bevy of YouTube tutorials that cover all sorts of facets of LSDJ:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0RVp … xkeejoKvTg

Thanks what you said makes sense. I think the clone feature is one of the things I need to explore next. Hopefully using that will help LSDJ make more sense to me as I experiment some more.

To me making the 2nd line seems like I'm starting all the way over after spending a lot of time creating on the 1st line building chains, phrases, instruments & tables even though I know these can all be used on other lines but editing them again effects the 1st line and so on. This is one of the things that confuses me the most because I feel like there is probably an easier way to do this than how I understand it so far. I want to be able to take the 1st line, copy it including all the chains, phrases, instruments & tables within line 1, paste it on line 2 and still be able to edit and save them all into new sounds and patterns without effecting the 1st line I originally copied it from. Hopefully that makes sense . . .

Last edited by NES Fresh (Jul 20, 2014 9:04 am)

South Korea

Read the manual! Copy+paste is not always the same as cloning. Read the manual! If you copy the contents of one phrase into a NEW phrase, you can change whatever you want. Also, READ THE MANUAL!!!!!

Deep cloning will copy a phrase/chain and paste it with a new number so you can change it as much as you want without affecting the original phrase/chain....

say you have phrase/chain 01.  Add another 01 phrase/chain right underneath it.  Then highlight the second one,  hold select and press B,  then A.  The number will change but you will have the exact same phrase/chain cloned.

Make sure CLONE in settings is set to DEEP. 

Hope I explained it okay,  but check out the manual for more details... I think "deep cloning" is what you are looking for.

Note,  phrase/chain= phrase OR chain

And you can also clone instruments

Last edited by RJL (Jul 20, 2014 5:33 pm)

France (au milieu)

I think the clone feature is one of the things I need to explore next

but editing them again effects the 1st line and so on.

yep, cloning saves lives...

something very useful that I've read somewhere in a tutorial is always naming your instruments after the channel you use

ex: all instruments on PU1 will get numbers 00;01;02;03, etc, all instruments on PU2 will be 10;11;12, etc

makes things easier to recall them when you go for more complexity

I also allways keep the 00 chain with 4 blank 00 phrases, so I can whenever insert some silence in a given channel
chain 01 is always a 4 01 phrases ''click'' on each channel, so I can synchronise later with other instruments

And you can also clone instruments

shit... never thought about it, must be awsome to get some funny variations...

Puerto Rico

I don't know if this is a thread about the technicalities of lsdj and how to track efficiently; or a thread about composition.

Thanks for the info on deep cloning I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I'm looking for. These reply's are helpful so thanks a lot. It was hard to really explain even what I was trying to do without having much knowledge of how LSDJ works yet.

Thanks for the info on deep cloning I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I'm looking for. These reply's are helpful so thanks a lot. It was hard to really explain even what I was trying to do without having much knowledge of how LSDJ works yet.