Thinking about getting a Prophet64 cart,  and I was wondering what else I would need to use it?  I have the C64,  obviously,  (and a tv monitor) but do I need a mouse too?  If so,  what kind?  I don't have any midi gear to use so I was just planning on using the c64 keyboard,  that works,  right?

Thanks for your help.

a mouse is pretty useful for prophet64/mssiah. i recently got a microyms v4, it's an adaptor that allows you to use a ps/2 mouse.

and maybe a sid2sid board if you want more channels

Dallas, Texas

You will seriously want a way to save. I recommend any SD2IEC device so you can backup your projects on your desktop computer.

Czech Republic

If you want to use prophet64 sequencer, you'll need a mouse (Sorry, I don't use Prophet64 sequencer..., but Commodore64 original mouse works).
If you'd like to use monosynth/drummer/bassline, you'll need 2 joysticks or better 4 pots modification to controll parameters in Prophet64 (2 pots controlling Joystick1 up-down / left-right, two other pots controlling Joystick2 up-down / left-right).
Read the manual (here: http://www.8bitventures.com/prophet64/files.php )
mostly Prophet64 - Getting Started With The Prophet64.
Read about pots, connections...
Read other manuals
If you'd like to use Prophet64 with other gear in synchronisation, you'll need gear that can send Dinsync clock and make Dinsync connector in your Commodore64.
There is other usefull link:
http://www.bigmech.com/misc/c64mods/
read about other modifications for your C64.
Also something like SD2IEC is really usefull to backup your work.
If you'd like to use Commodore64 as a realtime synth, get Cynthcart or try other software (e.g. Retroskoi)

Thanks guys,  I've been doing more research and reading the manuals and stuff and I bought a "1351" mouse on eBay,  which I believe is the recommended C64 mouse to use with P64. 

The saving issue is something that I will have to look into eventually,  but at the moment,  I don't have a computer to save to anyways (i use an iPad) so I guess I'll have to keep my sequencer songs pretty short and simple for the time being.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that I'm pretty sure I have one of the older,  older C64's with an early SID chip,  so I hope everything still will sound OK.

One thing I might have to DIY up is another potentiometer box... I already have one that I made for use with my Cynthcart,  but I understand P64 supports 2 (4 pots).  But does that use the same port that the mouse does?  Then I would be limited to just 1 pot box.

Maybe I'll make/get a double SID thing down the road some day.

I heard about/ordered Retroskoi last week,  I'm just waiting for the to ship it to me!  Ordered the P64 today,  I'm stoked!  big_smile. Love that C64 sound!

Last edited by RJL (Jul 31, 2014 12:23 pm)

Czech Republic

Hi
Retroskoi is freely downloadable.
As I know, Pots are not usefull in P64 sequencer / and mouse is not usefull in P64 bassline/drummachine/monosynth...
I tried 1351 mouse once with sequencer and it worked
read manual for using mouse, there is some trick to turn it on on C64 startup as I remember
and you will definitely need SD2IEC, C64 datasette or 1541 disc drive for making backup of your work.
As I remember, Prophet64 can't store your work itself.
You don't need to save it to PC, you have to save your patterns and other data for later work in Prophet64 (hope that it is clear, my english isn't well)
SD2IEC is better for use, it has some advantages (towards 1541 e.g.)
Older SID is OK, I think.
Only Prophet64 Bassline is designed for using with newer SID (8580) for best sound, but it will work with old one (6581)

Dallas, Texas

Oh yeah I totally  spaced out. You WILL NEED to install the 4 controller pots to use the software. you can get away with using the sequencer without them but the rest of the software suite require them to fiddle with the parameters. The mssiah-forum site has a complete mountains worth of terrific and helpful  to get you started.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Jul 31, 2014 2:26 pm)

The more research I do,  the more I want to mod up my C64,  sid2sid,  audio outs,  feedback,  pots,   led,  etc,  etc etc.

Actually I'd like to get a spare C64 to work on,  in case I mess it up,  but if it works I can use one for Cynthcart or Retroskoi and the other for P64.

Dallas, Texas

Thats the funnest part of the c64 in  my opinion. Kitting out the case and installing all the mods. Plus at the end of it all you get 6 channels of awesomeness, and a cool looking c64!

In this link ( http://www.bigmech.com/misc/c64mods/ ) he is modding a C64-C... I am wondering if the circuit board is different in an original C64?  Should I be trying to find a C64-C model to mod anyways (better SID chips)?

West Yorks, UK

i would seriously reccomend mssiah.

uve done the hard part and got a 1315 mouse though, so whatever! wink have fun

and for the record, retroskoi is free but retroskoi + with all the lovely extras only comes with the redrunner / greenrunner cart from RGCD

Just got my retroskoi + cart in the mail just now!

And I got prophet64 because I found it for real cheap on eBay,   and I don't really need the MIDI features of Mssiah,  anyway.

Czech Republic

Hi. I actually opened 3 C64s, one is old breadbox, Two are C64Cs. But I have 8580 Sids in all of these C64s. I think Circuit board in C64/C64C should be same/similar. The huge difference is, that 6581 Sid is powered with different voltage than 8580 sid, as I know. And you can't install old sid & new sid in SID2SID. Open your C64 and look which Sid revision you have.

I'm looking to get a second C64 to modify,  and I'm thinking I'll get a C64-c version.  To mod it,  I would be using that link I previously posted,  so It will be easier if I am looking at the same circuit board he is using in his pictures.

Ok,  so Fast Forward a few months and now I have 3 C64's,  2 of which are modified... One for Cynthcart and one for Prophet64 and Retroskoi+.  Anyways,  now I am looking to get a SD2iec so that I can start saving songs in Prophet. 

Just wondering,  are these easy to use?  And,  does it matter what size SD card I use?

Also,  I don't really know how to format an sd card for it...is this necessary?  Or can I just plug in an sd card and go?  Please forgive my ignorance -_-

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RJL (Dec 5, 2014 5:31 am)

Dallas, Texas

I would assume that prophet can format your card through whatever sd2iec you get. There are some really good ones out there these days. Some are internal installations and some are their own unit.