Granada, Spain

Im starting a little EP with a few covers/remixes in LSDJ, the problem is that i dont really know when i need to use "cover" or "remix" in their titles, i usually name it cover when its practically the same, just in LSDJ version, but remix when i modify or add things to the song, it is right? it doesnt matter?
By the way, can i upload this kind of things in bandcamp?

11 seconds gift from this new EP: https://soundcloud.com/skycstls/wip-kni … lsdj-remix

I've always assumed that a cover is when you are directly attempting to recreate someone elses song. A remix is when you take that song and its component parts and/or change its structure and even add in parts of your own design?

Not sure about legal stuff for bandcamp though.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

if(your_song-target_song>25%)return remix;
else return cover;

I'd say a remix uses elements of the original song.
A cover doesn't

So basically, all songs made on a gameboy of which the original wasn't made on a gameboy are covers...

dunno if that makes sense tho

Unsubscribe

^ thats it. If your song uses no elements from the actual recording its a cover. If you drop your recorded song underneath an acapella or part of another song it can be a remix.

The main difference copyright wise is for a remix vs cover  is that for a remix you have to license the original mechanical performances of the music (and get permission from the artist before doing this) AND pay the publisher of the song, while a cover you just have to pay a fee to the publisher, but do not need explicit permission from the composer or performers on the initial work.

Last edited by herr_prof (Aug 11, 2014 3:59 pm)

herr_prof wrote:

The main difference copyright wise is for a remix vs cover  is that for a remix you have to license the original mechanical performances of the music (and get permission from the artist before doing this) AND pay the publisher of the song, while a cover you just have to pay a fee to the publisher, but do not need explicit permission from the composer or performers on the initial work.

or just stay unfamous enough to never have to pay anything : )

Granada, Spain
defPREMIUM wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

or just stay unfamous enough to never have to pay anything : )

Well, that's easy!

Thanks for all the replies wink

sweden
Timbob wrote:

I'd say a remix uses elements of the original song.
A cover doesn't

So basically, all songs made on a gameboy of which the original wasn't made on a gameboy are covers...

dunno if that makes sense tho

Which 99 percent of youtube doesn't understand.

Electronic cover? THEN IT'S A REMIX!!!!

Ugh

Last edited by nordloef (Aug 11, 2014 4:33 pm)

Madriz, Supain
Skycstls wrote:

Im starting a little EP with a few covers/remixes in LSDJ, the problem is that i dont really know when i need to use "cover" or "remix" in their titles, i usually name it cover when its practically the same, just in LSDJ version, but remix when i modify or add things to the song, it is right? it doesnt matter?
By the way, can i upload this kind of things in bandcamp?

11 seconds gift from this new EP: https://soundcloud.com/skycstls/wip-kni … lsdj-remix

Quillo, cover is when you play another guy's song. Spanish "versión".

Remix is when you take the tracks and re-mix them. Oftenly misunderstood as "re-do the song using some original sample". Spanish "remics".

if youre doing it in LSDJ its not a remix

Montreal, Canada

Originally, the meaning of a remix is when you take the original recording and redo the mix. Mix being not only the levels and EQs on the console, but also in which order some parts of the songs are presented, extended, cut short etc. Basically, what the mix engineer does. This is true to this day, but technology has changed so much that you have to factor in sampling and whatnot.

A cover is simply playing the song as it was originally made. You don't need to attempt to sound like the original, but you are keeping the structure as it is. Basically a cover is when you get the sheet music version, and play it. So you can make a guitar cover of a piano song as long as you keep the chord progression and structure the same way (meaning you CAN make an electronic cover of a song.) Tempo is usually irrelevant because sheet music doesn't note tempo precisely down to the beats per minute.

For a lot of music for which we don't have the original recording (like a lot of classical music) we usually call them performances, or interpretation.

For music that you keep the basic original structure and feel but to which you add/remove layers of instrumentations to, we usually refer to those as 'arrangements'

What a lot of people do today however, cutting up a snippet from a song and use it as the hook in another completely different song has been given the name of 'vignette' in a lot of circles, 'mash-up' in others...mostly when more than one sources have been used.

TL;DR: Just credit the original artist and stop caring about this, it's irrelevant smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A remix is a new mix of a song so it contains at least some recorded elements from the original song. A cover is a new performance of a song, whether or not it's an original arrangement.

When it comes to chiptune music this means that a lot of songs listed as "chiptune remix" are actually covers as they don't include any recorded elements of the original song. It's not a remix unless you are re-mixing parts of the original recording.

As stated above it's an important legal distinction as licensing differs for covers and remixes. If you choose to cover a song you're guaranteed by law the ability to do so. You simply send the copyright holder "Notice of Intent to Obtain a Compulsory License" and then pay your fees as applicable.

With a remix you no longer have that guaranteed license as the rights to "reproduction/copying, communication, adaptation and performance" of a recording will be exclusive to the copyright holder. This means that you need to contact the copyright owner and hope they're willing to negotiate license terms.

Liverpool, UK
sandneil wrote:

What if it's a remix of an LSDJ song tho

calmdownkidder wrote:
sandneil wrote:

What if it's a remix of an LSDJ song tho

Only if you have the original sav file.

Spliting hairs here...

Arad, Romania

^ haha

All I want to say is this: don't be a dick by selling these covers\remixes you're making. I've seen that many chiptune musicians and even labels do this and I think it is a contemptible thing to do. My first release is going to be a compilation of remixes and covers, but it will be completely free as it should be.

Unsubscribe

Some artist might not be happy you are giving them away for free either.