hello forum brothers, wanted to get all your guys' honest opinion about the question of whether my little piggy tracker music is actually relevant to being shared on this forum... just released an ep (of little piggy tracker music) and have received lots of good feedback from folks from this site and elsewhere in the chip scene, which is great, but i find that my music is sounding less and less at home around these parts...what do you guys think?

when i started at this site i was making lsdj music, then famitracker music, then holy konni happened and i got into lgpt. my early lgpt stuff was more obviously chip influenced but now i am finding that it is basically just sample-based r&b/hip hop with mere vestiges of my days as a true chip kid!!1!

this prob will open up a discussion about what makes 'chip music' 'chip music' but we don't have to go there: keep it simple, and i won't be offended if one of you guys just says "hey, look yea i think your music belongs elsewhere." even if you like the music it's ok to tell me that it would be better to share it somewhere else!

my most recent ep (all lgpt with mixing/mastering by jesse martin): https://thewaveformgenerators.bandcamp. … a-tears-ep

edit: wrong link ha

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Aug 13, 2014 4:49 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

(。・_・。)

heart for the record i am more asking about my future music which is bound to become more and more just regular r&b (but still made on lgpt). i would say that the ep i linked above is cm.o material

You're good, man. Don't worry about authenticity or validity. People can have their own preference for what they like to do, but people that shame others for not sharing that same preference are jerks, IMO

but to answer your concern about lgpt, I don't think it's as complicated as you think. Sample-based trackers aren't just modern like with LGPT and Renoise, but they go back into the history of this community back to the Amiga - even many MOD chip tunes are just samples with a super short loop, making those simple waveforms we all lust for so much here

but the general consensus of most people in 2014 I think is: 'who cares?" wink

defPREMIUM wrote:

heart for the record i am more asking about my future music which is bound to become more and more just regular r&b (but still made on lgpt). i would say that the ep i linked above is cm.o material

Well I mean, you said you used to post a bunch of chip stuff and now you're branching out with trackers. I don't think a single person here is going to be "the chiptune police" anymore. We've all grown up a little (at least I hope) hahaha

Costa Mesa

if you made like legit r&b on lgpt I'm sure the community that directly works with samplers would be impressed at the sound you've made from it. Anamanaguchi uses milkytracker (another sample based tracking) and they're like the buddha of the overarching scene

IL, US

piggy is always welcome on here, especially if you share the data smile

highly relevant

Playboy Man-Baby

If we're strictly talking "true chip v. fakebit", technically it's still valid. As mentioned earlier, sample-based tracker technology dates all the way back to the demoscene, and you're using a handheld running tracker software. Plus, supposedly LGPT is gonna have synthesis added.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Aug 13, 2014 4:50 pm)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:28 pm)

IL, US

yeah, dont think theres any one chip artist that just universally loved.. its a pretty diverse scene

Whateverville, California

This is pretty cool stuff! Kind of reminds me of the Paul Weller project The Style Council.

For me the question "Is it chip enough?" is pretty subjective. Why make rules when we can make magical music however we want? That being said, there's a line out there somewhere between chip and fakebit, and it's best to enlighten your listeners about where you fall to avoid confusion. I like artists who are pretty transparent about how their music is created. It makes it easy for the listener to appreciate the relative difficulty of the process and product. Props to you for putting it out there and taking your listeners and the community into consideration.

seattle

regardless of sound choice, i think of LGPT as part of the chiptune community

IL, US

yeah.. i mostly use piggy now (well entirely for d_strct), so does starpause, plus bleo, xc3n, matt nida, etc and no one considers any of us to be somehow less a part of the scene (even if some of my stuff isn't really that "chip" sounding since i'll use longer samples, guitar riffs, etc, but neither is a lot of amiga stuff that i like either)

Playboy Man-Baby
e.s.c. wrote:

yeah.. i mostly use piggy now (well entirely for d_strct), so does starpause, plus bleo, xc3n, matt nida, etc and no one considers any of us to be somehow less a part of the scene (even if some of my stuff isn't really that "chip" sounding since i'll use longer samples, guitar riffs, etc, but neither is a lot of amiga stuff that i like either)

the Amiga's samples make a really gritty, spacious field of sound that you don't have in piggy, etc I find.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Aug 13, 2014 7:14 pm)

IL, US

you can make it sound pretty much identical, piggy has built in bit-reduction/bit-crushing along with distortion