Arad, Romania

I don't see why you would automatically call something made in a tracker "chiptune". The songs on that EP sound nothing like chiptune and by your logic you could call any kind of music that as long as it's made in a tracker. Therefore chiptune is a meaningless term like EDM.

Costa Mesa
Feryl wrote:
TrebleChild wrote:

Anamanaguchi uses milkytracker (another sample based tracking) and they're like the buddha of the overarching scene

lol, no they're not. Or at least, they shouldn't be...

i used the term buddha because they still kinda count but have basically transcended the scene (so they're not really gods or even acting authorities, like say danimal cannon is kinda), and i said overarching scene because they're sort of genre bending

qb wrote:

I don't see why you would automatically call something made in a tracker "chiptune". The songs on that EP sound nothing like chiptune and by your logic you could call any kind of music that as long as it's made in a tracker. Therefore chiptune is a meaningless term like EDM.

by whose logic? i'm not sure who you're talking to

IL, US

and it is a loose blanket term really at this point.. sample based trackers, circuit bent gear, pure hardware chips, chipsounds vst all sort of overlap.. its more about a lo-fi/lo-tech aesthetic rather than a genre, really

qb wrote:

just to clarify, if you're talking to me i never called tracker music chiptune... i'm really not sure to whom you're speaking sorry : (

Arad, Romania

I think Invisible Robot Hands was trying to suggest that.

I think it should be considered chiptune if it sounds like chiptune, regardless of the equipment being used. If it doesn't sound like chiptune then it isn't. The term was coined in reference to C64 music and the music made on the Amiga that emulated C64 music if I'm not mistaken, so that's the kind of sound you should try to emulate if you want to make chip music.

But I honestly don't care what it is as long as I like how it sounds, but this community apparently does (since it's called "chipmusic") so there should be a clearer definition for it.

qb wrote:

I think Invisible Robot Hands was trying to suggest that.

I think it should be considered chiptune if it sounds like chiptune, regardless of the equipment being used. If it doesn't sound like chiptune then it isn't. The term was coined in reference to C64 music and the music made on the Amiga that emulated C64 music if I'm not mistaken, so that's the kind of sound you should try to emulate if you want to make chip music.

I do understand what you're saying, but I think that's exactly how the confusion got started. It's like it started with C64 hardware SID and then soon after went to the Amiga's sampling method, so now you have lots of confused kids uselessly debating what it is. If you limit it to music that sounds like old C64 tracks or music with single cycle waveforms, you now also essentially just described early electronic music as a whole.

Sometimes I wish we all just embraced "lo-fi."  *shrug*

Last edited by an0va (Aug 13, 2014 10:07 pm)

Unsubscribe
qb wrote:

Therefore chiptune is a meaningless term like EDM.

We have a winner.

i think there are topics on here where people who've never written a song in their life are posting about their favourite colours of spraypaint

so whether or not it's 100% purebit i don't think anyone is going to begrudge you posting your things from time to time

people seem to enjoy them anyway and i think they are good too

nashville,tn

Hey, there's an easy way to settle the "is it chipmusic" question. It's a philosophical question, which has nothing to do with making good music or people enjoying said music. I'm sure a few other peeps here have a background in philosophy-'twas my undergrad-I could take some time to lay it out if anyone is really interested. In any case OP, don't worry about it. If doesn't belong on the site, people will tell you without mincing words, or they will just ignore you. It really doesn't matter though. Make and listen to as much music as you can until you don't care what genre it is anymore.

IL, US

yeah, i mean just dont upload random edm done in ableton without chip vsts/samples or anything weird like that..

Montreal, Canada
defPREMIUM wrote:

this prob will open up a discussion about what makes 'chip music' 'chip music' but we don't have to go there

I mean.... he called it in the opening post. But guess where this forum took it? Yeah. Exactly. Chipmusic is an aesthetic choice. Period. If you're at the point where you ask yourself if your music qualifies as chipmusic or not anymore, it probably isn't.

@defPREMIUM I gave a listen to your music. I, PERSONALLY, don't think it's anywhere near chipmusic. But I'm not about to argue if your music has a place here. Whatever boats your float man. I do think you should reach out of this scene and into the lo-fi art-pop scene though (think Lorde, but replace the hot girl with a sweaty nerd).

As far as being welcomed here... both you and your music are. Stop asking silly questions.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm)

New Zealand

Hey noob, there is a sweaty nerd BEHIND lorde

Los Angeles, CA

Aviel.  You chip as fuck.  I think your release is particularly interesting because you are using this tool that people have a preconceived notion of (or at least an understanding of how other people make it sound) and you make something new and interesting.  That's what I've always held as the ideal of chip, so BAM.

Arad, Romania
n00bstar wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

this prob will open up a discussion about what makes 'chip music' 'chip music' but we don't have to go there

I mean.... he called it in the opening post. But guess where this forum took it? Yeah. Exactly. Chipmusic is an aesthetic choice. Period. If you're at the point where you ask yourself if your music qualifies as chipmusic or not anymore, it probably isn't.

@defPREMIUM I gave a listen to your music. I, PERSONALLY, don't think it's anywhere near chipmusic. But I'm not about to argue if your music has a place here. Whatever boats your float man. I do think you should reach out of this scene and into the lo-fi art-pop scene though (think Lorde, but replace the hot girl with a sweaty nerd).

As far as being welcomed here... both you and your music are. Stop asking silly questions.

Well, by asking if his music is welcome here he was basically asking if it is chip music, wasn't he? This forum is chipmusic oriented after all.

Like I said, I don't actually care what music he makes. I simply tried to answer his question. I make experimental electronic music that happens to include chip sounds from time to time, but I generally make what I feel like making in the moment. I don't care about genres.