I've been writing chiptune music for almost a year now and I feel like I've progressed a huge amount, but it'd be nice to hear what you guys think of the two tracks below and what I could do to improve even more?

J3wel

https://soundcloud.com/j3wel/10k-from-la

https://soundcloud.com/j3wel/no-notion-unmixed

STARDRAIN, CA

Just remember: diversity, dynamic, and surprise. Sonic diversity, melodic diversity, diversity in song structure, dynamic with well thought out and well placed sounds, and always surprise people with breaks, interesting samples or lyrics or just thigs you wouldn't expect. Making sure that songs em in a way you wouldn't expect is always fun too. Just keep your songs hella interesting to yourself and that's pretty much it. Make ppl go like "WOA that's cool" and don't make them wait too long. Long intros make ppl skip songs.

STARDRAIN, CA

Imma listen to ur tracks rn tho to make a better assessment

Youngstown, OH

My general rule is never do the same thing twice. So if a section repeats, maybe play around with syncopating, pushing hits off a beat to surprise people. Maybe take the melody and embellish it differently. Just doing little stuff like that is usually my go-to answer

.FILTHadelphia

Just keep writing is the best advice and when you do experiment with something new each time. Don't get into a rhythm with your writing or you won't progress.

Direct advice would be diversify your Pulse instruments especially if you're doing dub stuff. Try and make your Pulse instruments sound interesting and different. Sometimes a 50% duty cycle Pulse instrument works most of the time you're going to have to mess with tables and different commands to achieve better sound design.

defiantsystems wrote:

Just keep writing is the best advice and when you do experiment with something new each time. Don't get into a rhythm with your writing or you won't progress.

Direct advice would be diversify your Pulse instruments especially if you're doing dub stuff. Try and make your Pulse instruments sound interesting and different. Sometimes a 50% duty cycle Pulse instrument works most of the time you're going to have to mess with tables and different commands to achieve better sound design.

I'll definitely look into that thanks for listening!!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Just practice. A lot.

Use all your avaliable time on it. You'll see results.

And never quit.