Hi everyone, I finished recording and mastering a song when I noticed a quiet kind of high frequency noise in the background. I've tried getting rid of it every way I can, but it still persists. I doesn't RUIN the song, but it becomes kind of distracting after a while, and takes away quite a bit from the track, so I was wondering, does anyone know how to take care of this noise?

Heres a link to the track: https://soundcloud.com/super-prism/small-ep-teaser

It's just a snippet, but you can clearly hear the noise fade in in the beginning.

For reference, I have tried all kinds of noise removal, and I have tried to EQ the high frequencies down a bit... but it just created other problems.

Any help would be greatly appriciated, thank you guys so much.

Either EQ, prosound mod it, or just embrace the noise 8-) - isn't that the point of using these things anyway? wink

ok so the sunglasses smiley on chipmusic.org looks like a dingus sad

Michigan

I never heard the noise.

Yea, I suppose it isn't a big deal. I tend to worry way too much about small errors in my music :I

Michigan

Could it be your playback? Have you listened on other speakers/headphones?

Abandoned on Fire

I didn't hear it. Use bgb to create 4 channel output and isolate it there.

Indiana

I get a 9-10k whine on my prosounded gameboys. if that's the noise you're hearing it's likely pretty well masked by the square wave harmonics in the section you're showing us.

IL, US

use software noise reduction. anytime you record a track, make sure you have 2-3 seconds of what should be silence at both the start and end, then you can use those chunks to make a noise profile in audacity (or your audio software of choice) to run 2-3 passes of noise reduction until its nice and clean. the reason to do it both at the start and end of the track is that some hardware doesn't revert back to exactly the same noise characteristics after playback stops as were present before playback began, so i typically run 2 passes with noise profiles taken from the lead in, and one or two from the lead out just to be sure

Sweeeeeeden
e.s.c. wrote:

use software noise reduction. anytime you record a track, make sure you have 2-3 seconds of what should be silence at both the start and end, then you can use those chunks to make a noise profile

To add to that, LSDj may output different noise when stopped and when playing due to different power usage, which affects the CPU. If you want to be serious about your noise removal, place empty chains of sufficient length before the song starts, or create the profile from the silence after the outro.

But I'm not sure I can hear, or see (using a spectrogram) the offending noise in the recording above. Maybe what you're hearing is the overtones form the arpeggio that runs throughout most of the track? A sound editor with a spectral display is a wonderful thing to see what you're doing. You can use Adobe Audition, or Sonogram SG-1 for VST compatible hosts. (The latter is free.) Another trick is to use a narrow band EQ with a positive gain that you sweep to find the offending frequency, then change the gain to negative to remove energy from that frequency band.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Sep 3, 2014 11:57 pm)

Thanks guys! I did a couple more noise removal passes and tinkered with the EQ a little bit more, and found that the noise had become much lighter and less noticable (it's not gone, but honestly it adds to the feel of the song anyway).