Dallas, Texas

I use female RCA to male 1/4" jack adaptors. But considering I use the cable for all my ins and outs I wish I had used RCA jacks. Though one down side is RCA's will protrude out and 1/4" jacks do not.

The reason I use the Isolator for both ins AND outs is cause if you remove the cable from your amplifier while everything is powered on you can blow your SID, Furthermore even if you wait until all is connected before powering on your gear, some old (and even new) amps will create a voltage spike when powered on that could potentially be lethal to the chip. SID's are very fragile and taking every precaution to ensure it's safety is worth it to me. Especially after having blown 2 SIDs before.

I use some old din plug to rca cable from a vhs lead pack, been using that since 98-ish with no problems. It's good for vic-20 too as you don't need the modulator.

Dallas, Texas

Yeah, I still got a couple of those laying around. Great for if you don't want to drill into the enclosure.

Yeah I like SID whine anyway.  Set border colour for volume and write everything in A.  Fits right in. smile

Would this thing work?  It looks like it has 1/4" jacks...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi … eliminator

I would need 2 of these if I wanted to have 2 inputs and 2 outputs,  correct?

TylerBarnes wrote:

Yeah, I still got a couple of those laying around. Great for if you don't want to drill into the enclosure.

I do have one of these,  it's what I'm currently using to get sound/video out of my C64 (single SID)

Dallas, Texas

That device looks quite large and expensive for your purposes. I don't see the advantage, especially if you need two.

Yeah,  I suppose you are right,  I just hate using rca... But I think I have some rca to 1/4" cables around here somewhere...

Or I could just install rca jacks instead of 1/4"... If it's that important..

Dallas, Texas

If I could go back in time and not drill big holes to fit 1/4" jacks I would. You can always re-drill your holes to accommodate for bigger jack types, just not the other way 'round. Go with rca jacks, get the radioshack Isolator, put some rca to 1/4" adapters on the ends and try it out. If later you would rather have 1/4" jacks, you can then decide to drill bigger holes.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Sep 29, 2014 2:27 am)

I've added LFOs to the paddle controllers for synth cart.  they work well.  i made mine using 555 chips, though i'm going to try out a better circuit built around a LM324 Op Amp

WAX+WIRE,   that sounds awesome,  I think I might try that!  I have a couple spare Atari paddles that I could turn into some kind of box....

Do you have some sort of schematic for this?

Milwaukee, WI
RJL wrote:

Do you have some sort of schematic for this?

http://bit.ly/1ufVyNo

^^^Thanks for being a troll,  for your information I already know how to make an LFO from a 555,  I just don't know where to connect it to the c64.  And I know how to use Google,  too.

What is wrong with asking questions to my fellow modders?!

Last edited by RJL (Oct 4, 2014 1:54 am)

Esc,  Tsc,  whatever your name is please stop stalking/trollling me... Not cool at all.

Last edited by RJL (Oct 2, 2014 1:45 pm)

Anyways... I started by adding the sid2sid circuit and an input and output for sid #2 according to that feedback mod schematic posted earlier.

It seems like it is working,  except sid #2 is very,  very quiet. 

I have been doing research online and it appears this is a common problem with sid2sid installations,  however I could not find a general consensus on what the problem might be.  I plan on doing more research when I get home from work,  but in the meantime I was wondering if anybody knew what this issue might be,  and how to remedy it?

I am using 8580 sids in a C64c,  and I'm using a 2n3904 transistor in the sid2sid circuit.  One sid says MOE,  while the other says CSG (not sure if this makes any difference).  I took the audio out from the sid2sid board and sent it to the feedback pot,  then through a cap to the jack,  with a resistor to ground too. Took audio in pin from sid #2 and did the same stuff,  just like the schematic. 

I did not try switching the chips around yet cause I had to go to work.

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated,  thank you!

Last edited by RJL (Oct 4, 2014 1:56 am)

A quick update.  I switched the sids around and it's reacting differently now so I think there might be something wrong with the one sid...  I still have to investigate further,  but it appears that one sid will hold,  or sustain infinitely any note you play on it... It does that in the p64 audio test and it does it with Cynthcart and Retroskoi+,  too... In both sid positions. 

Retroskoi+ sounded sort of gurgly and weird :/

Last edited by RJL (Oct 4, 2014 1:53 am)