I am very positive. I just spent around fifteen minutes trying to peel away at it and nothing came off.
This is the color of it as of now.

Also, when I first placed the polarizer, it didn't work as well, so I peeled away and found a blue film still stuck on it.
But again, still didn't work.

Last edited by hybrid-reality (Oct 4, 2014 9:39 am)

Yeah, I'm about ready to call it quits.

Over it.

Buying new everything.

If I dont, I'll end up throwing this against the wall and/or smashing it to bits.

I'll just use it for parts.
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Manchester, UK

I think 12ianma means the polarising film on the actual glass screen of the gameboy itself. There is a reflective foil that you will have peeled off the back of the glass and I believe there is some sort of polarisation layer glued between the back of the screen and this reflective foil.maybe this polarising film is still on the back of the glass screen. Try taking the edge of a sharp blade and seeing if anything like a grey coloured film comes off the back of the glass screen. Do this in the top corner where there would be no pixels on the screen if it were working, just in case.

Maybe try this one last thing if you haven't thrown it against a wall already!

So, I figured I'd give everyone an update.
After my fail on modding it the first time, I felt a bit discouraged, but I bought some cheap DMGs on eBay and went ahead and purchased a Density Backlight from ASMRetro. (The first one was from eBay. Probably a cheap knockoff that might have caused me all those problems.)
Just arrived today and finally have a modded Gameboy!!!
I am beyond excited and have been playing it all day.

Purchased the silicone glow-in-the-dark buttons from Kitsch-Bent.
They feel a bit too close to the shell, but they work just fine.
Will probably end up buying the regular plastic ones in the future, but I do like the silicone feel.

Also, they have the Density Backlight and a VC Backlight. Not sure what the difference is.

Last edited by hybrid-reality (Oct 16, 2014 8:35 pm)

the silicone feel a little too short in a stock shell to me, but they fit perfectly in the custom shell I got from from kitsch-bent. I cant tell visually any difference in the thickness of the shells, so i guess its just like 1mm or so making a noticable difference.

also, i recognize that tube of solder and pump from one of your earlier pictures. seems we bought the same soldering iron kit.

tvall wrote:

the silicone feel a little too short in a stock shell to me, but they fit perfectly in the custom shell I got from from kitsch-bent. I cant tell visually any difference in the thickness of the shells, so i guess its just like 1mm or so making a noticable difference.

also, i recognize that tube of solder and pump from one of your earlier pictures. seems we bought the same soldering iron kit.

Yeah, I'm guessing if I would've bought the shell from Kitsch-Bent, it would've been a perfect fit.
It's not a HUGE problem. The A/B and Start/Select feel great. It's just the D-Pad. I can feel a slight difference from the stock D-Pad. Like you said: it's literally about a 1-2mm difference, but I can't complain. It works and that's all that matters. tongue

Haha, yeah I got it off Amazon. Does the job!