Montreal, Canada

I have a counter offer:

I need a game programmed for a chiptune I'm making.

Platforms: iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Linux, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari, Apple II, ZX Spectrum, NES, GBA, XBox One, PS4, Various Fridges
Deadline: Next week
Genre: Full 3D space sim with 8K video output on all platforms
Compensation: Why, absofuckinglutely none! I will use your name in a text file, and load that as a sample to use as white noise for my snare.

Picture:

dont kid urself n00bstar theres no way making shitty 45 sec chiptunes is as hard as programming a game

Last edited by love (Dec 29, 2016 2:44 pm)

Whateverville, California
n00bstar wrote:

Various Fridges

I'm fluent in programming several models of Sundanzer refrigerators, but they only run on 12v or 24v solar systems. If you're not afraid of going in a new and revolutionary direction we could really make waves in the Demofridge world. I'll pay you to work with me and use my fridgegame to make yourself a huge profit, because nothing is more valuable than exposure. Oh, but please don't actually credit me, as I want to keep it real for all my Demofridge homeboys.
TRV3 FR1DG3 T1LL D34TH.

Indiana

i think it's funny when people say hello in the thread title, and that's all i can really read without clicking through idk. hi!

love wrote:

dont kid urself n00bstar theres no way making shitty 45 sec chiptunes is as hard as programming a game

lol

Seattle, WA
love wrote:

You've clearly never written a shitty 45 sec chiptunes before

NC in the US of America

I've done both. I'd say the game making is harder. The end result was just as shitty as any shitty 45 sec chiptune, though.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 6, 2014 1:34 am)

Dire Hit wrote:
love wrote:

You've clearly never written a shitty 45 sec chiptunes before

already did mr seattle, look up

Last edited by love (Oct 6, 2014 5:52 am)

gotta say love is right. the chipscene has kind of plucked this idea of "spec work" from the design world and im not sure it really applies to most of us. for like 99% of chiptuners this isn't actually "work" at all. most of us probably write about 45 seconds of music a day, most of us probably write 45 seconds of "upbeat" chiptunes a week, and enjoy doing it. ya my song was a joke but love's wasnt that bad and if it makes it into the game thats a win-win for both of them right? why you all gotta be so capitalist about it? writing a chiptune and making a corporate logo are happily not the same thing

Youngstown, OH

If I can be so bold, here's what I have to offer on why threads like this are reacted to in this manner, and why I, personally, count this as a good thing:

You are not devoid of value just because you've spent years doing something thankless. Musicians write because they like to, and sometimes after years of practice they get good enough to finish something in a matter of minutes.

Like a painter who might sketch a friend or family member, or maybe even complete a large work and give as a gift, musicians are by and large not selfish. In fact, they are so giving that people expect these gifts which require years of experience. The thing is, they often think "credit" is enough of a return. It is not.

I get that people out there are doing things on a zero budget and for fun. Trust me, I know so hard.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say when you are expecting things without paying anything, you should find creative ways to show the artists you are not a thief. Offer a little something to the musician in return. If you plan on selling your creation but have no cash upfront, be clear and concise about how and when you will give them their percentage of profits. When people are offering the project for free download, I've had them offer to send drawings, I've had people offer to make music videos, or get me in contact with friends of theirs that run radio shows, or send me the serials to programs they are no longer using. Just generally they were being good people making an effort to show that they were not taking me for granted.

Just somehow show that you respect these people helping you out, creating something special for you. That you think more of them than as a way to get quality assets for free. It's real time and often it's real money that goes into the free, short things.

in return for what, though? i didn't get anything in return for the 500+ unreleased tracks i have lying around that i made for the hell of it. the drawings / radio shows is a cute idea though. or having a character in the game named after you. or whatever. maybe we could ~ask~ for this kind of gesture instead of yelping "nospec" next time someone wants to help us find an outlet for our fun and enjoyable hobby

sandneil wrote:

i didn't get anything in return for the 500+ unreleased tracks i have lying around that i made for the hell of it.

i mean I don't think anybody here is against working for the sake of practicing your craft or even just for the sake of enjoyment but the only thing truly "capitalist" here would be any person expecting to benefit from the work of others without attempting to benefit them in some way as well. there's nothing wrong with pumping out jams and ideas just for the sake of enjoying it and being creative, but that is a process completely defined to the individual - you don't expect others to want to do that with you

we have no actual information on the game itself in the OP. we don't know if it's going to be something just for fun, something that could end up with sponsor support on a game portal, or even just their private website. I don't even think many posts like the OP are intentionally malicious, it's just a mis understanding of both parties. these things should be well-defined before anybody does any work. it's very very simple to have someone donate music for free and then the dev uses the project for future progress - the idea that "exposure" is equal compensation is ridiculous - obviously making a short loop does not compare to the process of "making a game" (though it really could be argued with things like flash templates, haha) but that doesn't justify the exposure, aka "a good word of mouth to other people," as actual payment and respect

say you're a guitarist and you got your new strings replaced on your guitar by a local music store - you wouldn't say "thanks I can't pay you but I'll tell other musicians you did a good job," you'd give him like $5 or something - a small amount of work is still work and should be treated as such not just to benefit the workers, but to also make the contractors look like they actually know what they're doing. it's just professional respect

I "yelp 'nospec" because artists have a right to understand how the majority of these kinds of things play out and make the decision for themselves, in reality it's probably not going to stop Artist Y from taking this deal in the long run whatsoever

Last edited by an0va (Oct 7, 2014 6:17 pm)

sleepytimejesse wrote:

If I can be so bold, here's what I have to offer on why threads like this are reacted to in this manner, and why I, personally, count this as a good thing:

You are not devoid of value just because you've spent years doing something thankless. Musicians write because they like to, and sometimes after years of practice they get good enough to finish something in a matter of minutes.

Like a painter who might sketch a friend or family member, or maybe even complete a large work and give as a gift, musicians are by and large not selfish. In fact, they are so giving that people expect these gifts which require years of experience. The thing is, they often think "credit" is enough of a return. It is not.

I get that people out there are doing things on a zero budget and for fun. Trust me, I know so hard.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say when you are expecting things without paying anything, you should find creative ways to show the artists you are not a thief. Offer a little something to the musician in return. If you plan on selling your creation but have no cash upfront, be clear and concise about how and when you will give them their percentage of profits. When people are offering the project for free download, I've had them offer to send drawings, I've had people offer to make music videos, or get me in contact with friends of theirs that run radio shows, or send me the serials to programs they are no longer using. Just generally they were being good people making an effort to show that they were not taking me for granted.

Just somehow show that you respect these people helping you out, creating something special for you. That you think more of them than as a way to get quality assets for free. It's real time and often it's real money that goes into the free, short things.

my dude 8). it's just like previously stated in this thread - many people make games and software for fun all of the time and there's nothing wrong with a passion project, just casting an open call for unpaid work these days looks a bit silly when you can find tons of people that would want to do it and contact them directly

Last edited by an0va (Oct 7, 2014 2:15 am)

and for the record, me "lol"ing before was that this thread is even going down that direction, as if comparing what is harder to do makes any difference at all here

Russia
sandneil wrote:

here it is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 … 20game.mp3

thanks you can credit me as "neil sand" or "chiptune composer neil sand"

This is actually a pretty neat tune, what did you use to compose it?

Last edited by spiritwaffle (Oct 7, 2014 8:01 pm)