Kansas

I'm looking to buy a DMG, but after reading about issues with with LSDJ and it's compatibility with certain CPU revisions I'm pretty worried. Disassembling the DMG to look at chip markings before I buy it is troublesome at best, and the community doesn't seem to have enough info to interpret serial numbers. However, I do have a flash cart, and actually testing the sound channels seems like the easiest and most accurate way to determine if I've got a good CPU.

My question is: What EXACTLY should I do in LSDJ to make sure every function of every channel will work properly? Even better, is there a custom rom designed to help test this?

Seattle, WA

It rarely matters that much.

Los Angeles, CA

All the testing you need for CPU iterations:

1.  Remove battery cover.
2. Look into hole left by the thing at the top of the cover. 
3. Is it a number bigger than 4 at the end of DMG-0X?
4. You're good.

Québec

I didn't realize you could check the cpu number that way, that's pretty useful.

So. California
Mrwimmer wrote:

All the testing you need for CPU iterations:

1.  Remove battery cover.
2. Look into hole left by the thing at the top of the cover. 
3. Is it a number bigger than 4 at the end of DMG-0X?
4. You're good.

Great info, thank you Mrwimmer.

Los Angeles, CA

Also, in my experience, it's really only affected kits, and regular cpu intensive stuff (fast vibrato, High tempos, and tables doing crazy stuff), but I'm not sure what else it might affect. 

this thread's pretty helpful http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11881 … revisited/

Kansas

Thank you very much Mrwimmer. I used your advice and just bought a DMG with a rev. 8 CPU.