Melbourne, Australia

Looks really cool! Can't wait to try this on a DMG when I get home. From what I played with on an emulator this is some really great stuff.

Sweeeeeeden
humbleTUNE wrote:

The emulators I have tried though none seem to save like this, but you can rather save the current state.

You need to set the SRAM size in the header, as well as specify an MBC type that supports SRAM. For a regular flashcart, this doesn't matter since the hardware is the same no matter what, but an emulator has to rely on the ROM header to know what features the ROM wants to use. If a flash cart is using a multi ROM menu, it may also restrict the RAM size and other parameters based on the values in the header.

You can set these values for examples with rgbfix, which I'm assuming you're already using for fixing the header checksum. This is described in Pandocs, see the link below. 1B, MBC5+RAM+BATTERY is a good choice for the MBC type. Set the RAM size parameter as needed.

http://problemkaputt.de/pandocs.htm#thecartridgeheader

You may also want to check for the presence of actual SRAM before showing the save button. This helps it work better if someone decides to make a 32 kB cart of the ROM. You may also want to confirm the data that was written before deciding it worked. In the same vein, you may want to add a checksum or identifier for the data, so it can be validated when loaded, in case something else already exists in SRAM, like a game save, or an LSDj save.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Oct 7, 2014 6:49 am)

@concretedog + @humbleTUNE

I've had a quick play this morning and managed to get it to save and load on the load number 1. I was previously trying it with 0 as I assumed it would work on that number maybe it doesn't idk I will have a more thorough test tonight and edit this post then.

Sweden/UK

@nitro2k01 Thanks I will look into that as soon as possible. I feel I still have some things to learn here. smile I have not even come across this rgbfix. Good stuff.

@J3wel It should save on slot 0 aswell. This saving business was more tricky than I thought. smile

Cheers

ERik

Melbourne, Australia

It's really cool so far. Definitely a learning curve, but I could see more abstract game boy artists using this instantly.
Would be awesome to see this sort of thing working with the wav channel one day, or even the noise channel for all those crazy thrash dudes.

Thanks for making this humbleTUNE!

PS: Is everyone else getting fairly substantial fuzz/feedback when playing notes? I've tested it on 3 gameboys.

Last edited by Calavera (Oct 7, 2014 8:42 am)

Sweden/UK

@Calavera Cheers. Yeah the wave channel I feel would be quite cool. Not sure the noise channel fits in this format. But who knows. smile

My gameboy pocket is quite noisy in general. But you could try cranking up the initial envelope value. That  increases the volume and lowers the noise a bit.

Thanks

ERik

Turku, FIN
breakphase wrote:

Someone wanna make a youtube demo?

Edit - Nm I found the vine clips

Wanna link these here so i don't have to google them myself ;D ?

Sweeeeeeden
KeFF wrote:

Wanna link these here so i don't have to google them myself ;D ?

Click the homepage in the original post, and scroll down.

And speaking of that, I have a criticism of the page layout. I was considering not mentioning it, but I linked the page to someone else and they were confused about the same thing. I thought maybe I was stupid to not realize you could scroll down. Normally when a page has content and then 50% empty space under it, it's a sign that the page ends there. And so I never thought to scroll down, and assumed there was no download available. Because there is a script adjusting the top position of section 2, the rest of the content is always guaranteed to be below the fold, and there's no indication there's more content (other than the scrollbar, if for some reason you would look to the side of the screen). When I realized other people were talking about ROM in the thread, my instinct was to view source and search for .zip and .gb, rather than to scroll down, and found the link. Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but this is not a functional web design.

Sweden/UK

@nitro2k01 Hehe. smile You have passed the initial scrolling test. You are now worthy of a free gameboy program. smile

@KeFF You can also visit my vine page, https://vine.co/humbleTUNE. Thanks for taking interest.

ERik

Russia

This looks pretty sweet smile

Edit: Tried it on my ems64 and it runs perfectly.

Last edited by spiritwaffle (Oct 7, 2014 5:58 pm)

Turku, FIN

Oh cool, thanks. This looks actually pretty sweet, gotta put it to test!

Earth
humbleTUNE wrote:

@nitro2k01 Hehe. smile You have passed the initial scrolling test. You are now worthy of a free gameboy program. smile

@KeFF You can also visit my vine page, https://vine.co/humbleTUNE. Thanks for taking interest.

ERik

Yeah the first time I went there with my iphone the page was kinda funky. I like your apps! The designs are really inspiring. I'm sure I'll end up flashing this too.

Sweden/UK

Thank you very much @KeFF and @breakphase. I really appreciate it. I patched the rom header last night so now it should save fine in the emulators also. Version 1.0.1 can be found at the same link as before:

http://www.humbletune.com/chord/

Cheers

ERik

Sweden/UK
Calavera wrote:

PS: Is everyone else getting fairly substantial fuzz/feedback when playing notes? I've tested it on 3 gameboys.

Cheers for pointing this out. I had a look around in the sound registers and manage to improve the noise levels. I have uploaded a new build, version 1.0.2.

Thanks

ERik

France (au milieu)

hi looks really cool and worth a try, but I can't see any link on the page... is there some kind of a secret ''insiders trick'' to get to the holly ROM ?

Sweeeeeeden
Sesska wrote:

hi looks really cool and worth a try, but I can't see any link on the page... is there some kind of a secret ''insiders trick'' to get to the holly ROM ?

See my post above. I think you may be experiencing the same thing I did. Again, good to know it wasn't just me being stupid. tongue