Michigan
rumpelfilter wrote:

Hi. Good point I think. Maybe I have to rename the app. The gameboy is quite limited hardware and chord can only play monophonic sounds. So it plays chords in a sense you can pick chords on a guitar.

Well chords in chiptune music are traditionally rendered as very fast arpeggios, so the name is not really wrong, all the contrary. I don't think you have to change the name. I was more wondering if aside from playing arpeggios one could also play actual chords like you'd do on a piano.
Actually applications like Nanoloop or LSDJ let you do that by using for example the L and R channel and just having two (or three if you use the custom wave channel too) notes play at the same time. But it's not a deal breaker, it can be a choice to focus on just the arpeggios.

Chords with L and R? I think you mean pulse 1 and pulse 2. With the use of all three channels excluding the noise channel, true three note chords wouldn't be too hard. Just set the pulse widths to match your square wave sample. So yeah, just to reiterate what you said. tongue

Unsubscribe

Nanoloop calls the two channels L and R.

Michigan
herr_prof wrote:

Nanoloop calls the two channels L and R.

Oh...huh. Never used it. tongue

Sweden/UK
OmO wrote:
Mrwimmer wrote:

It would be *REALLY* cool to have some arduinoboy implementation to slave the arp speed to a midi clock :3  Or lsdj/nanoloop for that matter.

Let's not get over excited here. smile Medium cool maybe. No but seriuosly this is something I have been thinking about. When I started the project my first thought was to build my own arduino midi interface, but then I realised some people had already done it. Now I am kind of hoping that nanoloop Oliver will get his midi interfaces back in stock. Otherwise I might have to look into building an arduino boy. Once I have that I am hoping it will not be too difficult to reverse engineer the protocol it is using.

I do have some experience with midi in the ios and android world, so I am thinking it should not be impossible. Definitely something to look into. smile

Cheers

ERik

West Yorks, UK

so someone actually invented my idea? Cool!  http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7082/ … ea-bounty/

Sweden/UK
Domu wrote:

so someone actually invented my idea? Cool!  http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7082/ … ea-bounty/

Haha. smile That is pretty cool I must say. I guess we invented the same thing in a way. You even called it chord. Honestly I have never seen your thread before and it can't be subliminal, because I first came here after I made chord. I just wanted to make something you play rather than program. smile

Cheers

ERik

West Yorks, UK

Hey man! Not even suggesting you saw my old thread way back then, but am sure happy you thought it up of your own accord. Not had chance to check it out in action just yet but am looking forward to it greatly. Love the graphic design on the page!

As i said, not used chord yet but it appears to cover basically all the bases i asked for in that thread, if you have midi implementation via arduinoboy i will happily donate lots of monies, if not, well... il happilly donate some monies anyway big_smile

furthermore, as we totally seem to be having the same ideas, id be more than happy to help you develop either this or any other ideas you may be working on currently (conceptually, obviouslly im no gameboy coder otherwise id have never made the thread). id offer my services as a graphic designer (pro, y'all) but honestly, the minimal pixel gfx on the site have it summed perfectly anyhow.

feel free to get in touch man, itd be good to chat!

West Yorks, UK

ahaha and if you want to add me into the credits under the title; "non-influence" then you'll make my year tongue

Sweden/UK
Domu wrote:

ahaha and if you want to add me into the credits under the title; "non-influence" then you'll make my year tongue

I am sure that can be aranged. I should add credits to concrete dog for beta testing also. About the midi part it is definitely something I want to do but I haven't figured out how to get my hands on one of those arduino boys yet, in the easiest way. Hopefully I will soon though.

Thank you very much for the kind words. smile

ERik

West Yorks, UK

I could lend you mine if you would like / it would help... Manchester is hella close to Halifax where i am currently residing.

*Good lord...... Wash is amazing. Hoping you win the mercury prize!

Last edited by Domu (Oct 24, 2014 2:00 pm)

Sweden/UK
Domu wrote:

I could lend you mine if you would like / it would help... are you based in UK or Sweden currently?

*Good lord...... Wash is amazing. Hoping you win the mercury prize!

You are right, Wash is amazing. I wish I could take credit for it. I am not in Gogo Penguin but they are good friends of mine. Chris the pianist is actually from Halifax too.

That is very kind of you. I am quite close to you, I live in manchester. I will have a closer look this weekend I think at building one of my own. It shouldn't be impossible right?! smile Where did you get yours?

Cheers

ERik

Last edited by humbleTUNE (Oct 24, 2014 2:04 pm)

West Yorks, UK

oh man, il bet your Chris guy went to my school. Chris... Illingworth? I forget, but am sure I heard of Gogo penguin down at Dean Clough in Halifax where im sure they played. (and where i work putting up, taking down and helping curate the art exhibitions)

Anyway, I got it premade from Scienceguy on these here forums. I gave been meaning to get into Arduino for a long time.. however have been procrastinating and have been mainly learning to code in Processing (nearly identical) and GML inside gamemaker.

Have a bash at building one! Otherwise borrow mine.

I would totally love to bend your ear on a few subjects sometime anyway. Till then il bash out a few goes with chord and give you my critique!

Peace!

Sweden/UK
Domu wrote:

oh man, il bet your Chris guy went to my school. Chris... Illingworth? I forget, but am sure I heard of Gogo penguin down at Dean Clough in Halifax where im sure they played. (and where i work putting up, taking down and helping curate the art exhibitions)

That is the very same Chris. smile Excellent. They are the best band ever, but I am probably biased. I have definitely heard him speak about Dean Clough, so you have probably seen them there.. Small world. And it sounds like a good job.

And thanks for the Scienceguy tip. Will do some investigation.

Thanks

ERik

West Yorks, UK

awesome! small world.... speak soon!

Sweden/UK

I just though I would post about my progress and findings this weekend on the external sync for chord. I realise many people might already have the arduinoboy but I decided to look at using teensy arduino. I think possibly the arduinoboy might still work but I am not sure.

For me though teensy is a very nice solution as it works as a usb midi device. All you need is a teensy 2.0 ($16) and a gameboy link cable. I will supply the software needed to run on teensy and I will also write a description on what you need for it to run.

Here is a little test I ran this weekend, running minibus on an iPad as clock and sinusoid providing the drums:
https://vine.co/v/Oh3mLiVYTp9

I will be a bit busy this week I think but hopefully I can get a new build and the teensy code out sometime next week if someone is interested. As a first step it will only do midi clock syncing, but at a later day I will possible also look at triggering notes.

Cheers

ERik

West Yorks, UK

Amazing... il happilly accept teensy!
Great progress. Get multiple specified dmg notes /channels triggered via one midi note and youve got lots of my money.

Have a good week! My eyes will be peeled for further news.

Cheers