Chips & Dip :3

Hey all!

So over the past 2 months I've been fumbling around in Logic Pro X trying to get a good mastering job done with my LSDJ tracks but I can't seem to get exactly what I'm looking for.

I want to get something like the mastering in "Parallel Processing" but I somehow keep messing things up.

I want to know FOR SURE what EQ settings I should be using for pulse, wave, and noise as I sometimes feel like I'm adding too many effects, making the bass volume too high, etc...

Please let me know as I am new to in depth mastering ESPECIALLY with chiptune (before I've just used Audacity and lowered the high pitch stuff in the EQ).

If you need specific settings I use and or screenshots I'd be happy to put them up!

Thanks!
-Sam big_smile

Dallas, Texas

There is never a one size fits all plugin or EQ setting of any kind. Just find some reference tracks you like the mixing on and try to emulate it with your volume eq adjustments.

Also when you don't use a reference track you are trusting your speakers to tell you the truth about what it truely sounds like. Which, in almost all cases your speakers and room sound are telling you lies.

Also I'm assuming you recorded every track into it's own separate channel. That makes a big difference.

Sorry if it's not the answer you wanted to hear but it's the truth.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Oct 10, 2014 6:46 pm)

Chips & Dip :3
TylerBarnes wrote:

There is never a one size fits all plugin or EQ setting of any kind. Just find some reference tracks you like the mixing on and try to emulate it with your volume eq adjustments.

Also when you don't use a reference track you are trusting your speakers to tell you the truth about what it truely sounds like. Which, in almost all cases your speakers and room sound are telling you lies.

Also I'm assuming you recorded every track into it's own separate channel. That makes a big difference.

Sorry if it's not the answer you wanted to hear but it's the truth.

Yeah it's no problem!

I've been trying to do a reference track ish thing for a while but I think I was just missing something?

Danimal Cannon actually messaged me over twitter with a couple of tips on how he did the mastering for the tracks so that was cool!

https://twitter.com/Metatronaut/status/ … 4575407104

BTW Your video on the kicks and pre snare really helped me with music production so thanks for making that!

Dallas, Texas

No problem! Glad to have helped!

Indiana

if you're doing your own mastering, and you're unhappy with how it sounds, consider trying a new mix