does anyone remember whether we were all doing the CHIPTUNES HAVE FINALLY GROWN UP thing before cmo

UK, Leicester

wasn't there some post on a yahoo board about LSDJ from about 2004 where they were talking about how VSTs were killing chip?

when aren't we as a subclture having a melodromatic existential crisis?

Youngstown, OH
Alpine wrote:

when aren't we as a subclture having a melodromatic existential crisis?

IL, US
Arc-Demon wrote:

Chiptunes are more likely to get attention in a video game soundtrack.

With that said, does anybody here make chiptune music for the purpose of video games? At CMO, I feel there's a desire to distance the two.

yeah, there are a bunch.. br1ght pr1mate, saskrotch, disasterpeace, derris kharlan, virt, etc...though in some cases they also consider that to be somewhat different than their more personal work

IL, US
Alpine wrote:

There's also the weird relationship between writing chip, and writing VGM, some people try and distance themselves from one or the other. It's pretty toxic really, you have people who write "music" and get all snobby about how "it's not from a videogame" even though that's what it sounds like.

feel free to try and claim most of my e.s.c. stuff sounded like it came from a video game (or 8cylinder, or timeheater or dj scotch egg or baseck, etc...).. there can be a distinction between using the same sound capabilities and actually making something SOUND like the songs in video games... fyi, square waves predate the game boy, they existed on synths from way back...

Los Angeles, CA
e.s.c. wrote:
Alpine wrote:

There's also the weird relationship between writing chip, and writing VGM, some people try and distance themselves from one or the other. It's pretty toxic really, you have people who write "music" and get all snobby about how "it's not from a videogame" even though that's what it sounds like.

feel free to try and claim most of my e.s.c. stuff sounded like it came from a video game (or 8cylinder, or timeheater or dj scotch egg or baseck, etc...).. there can be a distinction between using the same sound capabilities and actually making something SOUND like the songs in video games... fyi, square waves predate the game boy, they existed on synths from way back...

I get where you're coming from, but every single shlub at every single not explicitly "chip" show I've played at sure freaks out about how my shit sounds like mega man.  While I'm singing.

IL, US

hahaha,, well youve heard enough of my music to see how that would be a little less likely to have been something i heard. i heard people say i wasn't even chip music a lot more often than that i sounded like something from a video game

Last edited by e.s.c. (Oct 20, 2014 2:03 am)

Liverpool, UK

Yo - listen, guys - I got out my house, got on a plane, went to 8static, and had a fucking blast hanging out with rad people and listening to rad music.

Do that.

Brunswick, GA USA
breakphase wrote:

I just like to dick around online. And something about the amature, file posting culture is cool/fun to me. Whatever though, I'm not crying about it. *sniff*

Do it if you want, nobody's stopping you and I'm sure people listen.

calmdownkidder wrote:

Yo - listen, guys - I got out my house, got on a plane, went to 8static, and had a fucking blast hanging out with rad people and listening to rad music.

Do that.

If I hadn't burned my vacation days on my daughter's birth and had the money for the trip, I would've gone to Miku Expo instead. Nothing personal, just lots of choices out there.

Last edited by chunter (Oct 20, 2014 3:26 am)

Baja California

hey guys! If you want to meet rad chip people, come to Format DF festival in mexico this november 14th and hangout with the cool mexican chipscene!!!

#shamelesspromotion #iregretnothing #plsdonthate

buffalo, NY
calmdownkidder wrote:

Do that.

Thisssss

Playboy Man-Baby
Mrwimmer wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

I get where you're coming from, but every single shlub at every single not explicitly "chip" show I've played at sure freaks out about how my shit sounds like mega man.  While I'm singing.

I experience the exact opposite. The kinds of people who show up to "chiptune nights" but aren't involved in the scene elsewhere are the ones who still manage to tell me that my instruments with VFF and breakcore beats going at upwards of 200 bpm "totally sound like Pokemon did u use red or blue to make the songs???".

Meanwhile, when I play in a lineup with a bunch of noise musicians or post-punk/hardcore/whatever bands, I might still get asked how I did it and people may assume it was sampling or something, but the crowd's response to the music itself starts and ends with "that was intense and heavy."

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Oct 20, 2014 9:16 am)

Mannheim, Germany
Arc-Demon wrote:

Chiptunes are more likely to get attention in a video game soundtrack.

With that said, does anybody here make chiptune music for the purpose of video games? At CMO, I feel there's a desire to distance the two.

does homestuck count? i believe some people who at least have accounts here were involved with that. anyway, homestuck is the thing that introduced me to chipmusic. so yeah. chipmusic is popular as soundtrack for webcomics?

IL, US

i loved playing with noise acts and they seemed to be where i got my best reactions usually.. a nice opportunity to lean into it and just make things extra nasty.. half the time they didn't even notice there was a game boy or nes in the setup, i was running thing through 2-3 distortion units, layering with sampled breaks off an esx-1..  things like that.. sometimes id do sets like that in front of chip crowds, but it wasnt that often and the reaction was usually far different
but back to the main topic.. i agree with whats been said about the scene being in a sort of spot inbetween being small enough to feel as close as it used to and big enough that you could find enough people locally that it made up for it..as the forums memberships really grew over the last few years, lots of people just stopped coming to the forums from the older group of artists, only popping in to post on rare occasions, but most of them are still around and making music.. CS for one smile ...like its a pretty small group of people from the original nanoloop forums still around talking online... nordloef, bit shifter, me, etc.. but then again that was about 10 years ago now, so its easy to see how people would get tired of it oafter wave after wave of people that they just have no hope of keeping track of to know who they are.. in 2007, 8bc actually felt like you pretty much knew 50-75% of all the members a little bit and that was great, but it wasnt going to stay around 500-800 people forever

New Zealand

Seriously ...  ....    ...?

UK, Leicester
e.s.c. wrote:

i loved playing with noise acts and they seemed to be where i got my best reactions usually.. a nice opportunity to lean into it and just make things extra nasty.. half the time they didn't even notice there was a game boy or nes in the setup, i was running thing through 2-3 distortion units, layering with sampled breaks off an esx-1..  things like that.. sometimes id do sets like that in front of chip crowds, but it wasnt that often and the reaction was usually far different

I think the reason for that is that chipmusic is kind of a gimmick in a way, if you're not playing to people who think it's cool that you're using a games console, it just ends up being another instrument.