NC in the US of America

Just do what you want. Whatever you feel works for you. If it's not working for you do something else.

current state of online chip music scene: undiscussable without social media; undetectable without social media; inaudible without bandcamp and soundcloud

Los Angeles, CA
herr_prof wrote:

This thread is quickly becoming "why arent I popular"

Yeah fair. I didn't mean to come off that way.

NC in the US of America
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

current state of online chip music scene: undiscussable without social media; undetectable without social media; inaudible without bandcamp and soundcloud

Don't forget about youtube

Outer Space

That is the worst "8 bit" midi "cover" I've heard yet...

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:34 pm)

Unsubscribe
Mrwimmer wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

This thread is quickly becoming "why arent I popular"

Yeah fair. I didn't mean to come off that way.

the internet can be an echo chamber for sure, but its funny to me we have more festivals and hi profile releases then every even though the scene is dead.

TSSBAY01

Men of Mega wrote:

You guys know eindbaas? Well, when eindbaas started no-one knew about eindbaas. When I started making chiptune? Chip music was dead in Holland.
In 2014 not only is the chip scene in the Netherlands thriving with the likes of xyce and monodeer, eindbaas is one of the best known chip shows in the world. Oh, and I played chip tunes all over the world, from Tokyo to NYC, and met almost all chip peeps IRL. And it cost me heaps of money all worth it.
And I almost forget: I also play a lot of shows that have nothing to do with chip music. I could not care less that people come up and ask me what game I am playing, just as long by the end of the night they are dancing their asses off.

And nice to welcome u to Nuermberg soon.
(And if any of u guys are also in Europe or Germany, come around. LINK )

About online and live scene - It is clear that without the online scene, the live scene wouldn't be so strong as it is today.
Shows like EINDAAS and Super Byte clearly are able to show how great the live experience is. Even my fascination about chiptune mainly comes from 90% Real and Live Experience and 10% Online Community.
If i talk to others it is mainly only online and i use Twitter way over facebook Group, but the connection i have with others is because i meet them on shows and in real life.

I even didn't mind to drive to Berlin once to a 8bit Bar after beeing awake for 12 hs after a night shift working through, driving up there 6 hs with a bus (And oh fck me, the ride. Old fookls talking 6hs/straight. Try to sleep there with already bad "sleep-on-road" skills). First Nintendoom sleeping a car, while having the craziest drive to a parking spot in a fcking blizzard. Last EINDBAAS went with my sister who whas exhausted coming from Austria, but hold out through.

Even if we all can complain that our local scene maybe is lacking (got 1 gig up in my hometown and planning on bigger one in the future - not sure yet, still only one around here in about 80 kms - then comes Nuermberg - about 45 min drive), real life experience are great.
And hey, the current state of online chip music scene?
Would not be that great without the stuff that goes on outside.

So i got no complaiment. I do stuff my way and it works.

" I could not care less that people come up and ask me what game I am playing, just as long as i make music."

chunter wrote:

Some people will keep making music whether there is a scene for it or not.

Lol, I can't even imagine having "real life" chiptune friends over here.

"live" is a relatively new thing anyway, people got on just fine doing this stuff without it for 20 years, remember.

Utah

I would have to say that the "scene" is thriving. I've made tons of friends online and in person, there is tons of great music being made all the time, and it shows no signs of stopping. I believe there is a synergistic relationship with the online and live aspects. Shows give me a definitive event to either work up to (if I'm playing) or get excited about (seeing acts or friends). Online is where I learn about most new music and glean ideas, interact with other musicians, and mutually find and offer help on projects. Things are great, y'all.

Mannheim, Germany
an0va wrote:

IMO you never need to find "chip shows" to appreciate the growth of the scene - take your gear to a local open mic and blow some minds (or piss people off, lol) - either one is a great development - electronic music as a whole is at least on a ton of people's minds more than it was before - it a great time to be interested in this stuff I think! smile

open mics are actually are really good idea, i think i will try that in the near future. maybe make some banners so NOBODY is confused even for a minute about where they can get more of these delicious blips and bloops.

9-Heart wrote:

i wish i had enough well-managed time and moolah to go :C

Last edited by Orange Creamsicle (Oct 25, 2014 4:10 pm)

Orange Creamsicle wrote:

[...]

9-Heart wrote:

Your like 2:30 hs of a drive away, there still are like 3 weeks to it, the coolest dudes will appear and there is a open mic.
So your excuse is not acceptable.

Mannheim, Germany
9-Heart wrote:
Orange Creamsicle wrote:

[...]

Your like 2:30 hs of a drive away, there still are like 3 weeks to it, the coolest dudes will appear and there is a open mic.
So your excuse is not acceptable.

nope. cant even spare 20 bucks for gas. hard times, yo.

and it sure doesnt help that i spent the whole day fucking around on the internet instead of writing my fucking papers.

but uuuuuuuugh open mic, i HAVE to go. damn. need to rob a bank or some shit.

FUCK.

Last edited by Orange Creamsicle (Oct 25, 2014 5:35 pm)