Illinois

heyy

I just received a modded DMG in the mail. It's pretty quality aside from this issue that im having. When I plug my headphones (I've tried multiple sets) into the prosound jack, sound only comes out of one speaker. If I pull it about halfway out and twist it, I can hear sound from the other side. I've tried twisting the connector around in the jack. I've also tried clearing it with a paperclip and canned air. I just cracked it open to look at the wires as well and everything appears to be fine. Should I try a re-soldering job on this, or does it sound like something else?

Thanks so much! smile

Last edited by syobonaction (Oct 23, 2014 9:29 pm)

Manchester, UK

Would it be possible to get a picture of the prosound jack, the standard jack board and the volume control section of the pcb showing what is soldered to where?

matt's mind

corrosion jumps to mind, but

it could be a ton of different things though, all the way back to the CPU.

can you perhaps pan the sound entirely L and R and figure out for sure which channel is out for sure? 

i suspect twisting the jack is working because you are pulling it out enough its acting like a mono jack and you are just hearing L.

so, create two different noises/tones/whatever so you can distinguish the channels, then figure out what really happening. 

that won't help you fix the problem of course, or really identify *where* its happening, but would at least let you know for sure what the problem actually is.  L is out, R is out, if twisting gets you both then sounds like a jack issue, that sort of thing...

Illinois

Is this what you needed?

Illinois
kitsch wrote:

corrosion jumps to mind, but

it could be a ton of different things though, all the way back to the CPU.

can you perhaps pan the sound entirely L and R and figure out for sure which channel is out for sure? 

i suspect twisting the jack is working because you are pulling it out enough its acting like a mono jack and you are just hearing L.

so, create two different noises/tones/whatever so you can distinguish the channels, then figure out what really happening. 

that won't help you fix the problem of course, or really identify *where* its happening, but would at least let you know for sure what the problem actually is.  L is out, R is out, if twisting gets you both then sounds like a jack issue, that sort of thing...

Thanks! I will have to try that later. I only have FF Adventure with me atm. I left nanoloop at home :B

Illinois

Update:

I took it apart and really jacked around with the right channel contact. It took about an hour of fiddling but it finally seems to be working well, at least for now.

Thanks for all the pointers! smile)

NC in the US of America

You're welcome.