I'm currently working on a project that involves direct sampling from retro consoles. MIDI-equipped NES, GB and C64 are no problem but the Genesis is a whole different beast. I'm aware there are reasonable software emulations but I want to record through the actual hardware. Since it is impossible to find a GENMDM I'm looking for someone who already has one so we can collaborate. You'll be well-paid for your recording time. :-) Email me: [email protected]

Dallas, Texas

Considering how complex FM is, this sounds to be a very large task. If I knew Genesis music better I'd help, but I have not had enough time with my GenMDM as I've been consumed by my own chip sampling endeavor.

Michigan

Can you not simply use YM2612 and TI 76489 samples? These should be easy to find considering the Sound generators are not custom or proprietary in the Sega Genesis as they are in the NES/gameboy, etc.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Oct 26, 2014 2:00 am)

Tyler: Indeed, there are infinite possible patches. But I would settle for a sampling of the more iconic configurations, like a 'top 50' or so that would be immediately recognizable.

Jazzmarazz: This is for a commercial sample library I'm building, so I can't use any pre-existing samples. Plus, the goal is to be as authentic as possible, and what's more authentic than sampling directly from the console itself? :-)

Dallas, Texas

Yeah I agree with sampling from console. The audio amplifier/filtering plays a big role in shaping the genesis sound.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Oct 26, 2014 2:12 am)

Sweeeeeeden

You might consider using YMDJ (possibly in an emulator initially) and then recording whatever you make in that program when you're satisfied.

Whoa, didn't know about YMDJ. That is very cool. Looks like something to keep an eye on for sure.

While I'm on the topic... what's the best way of loading custom audio to an SNES cart for playback? Are there some custom ROMs for this kinda thing?

Seattle, WA

There's a thread about a new snes tracker around here somewhere

Yes your most reliable options would be GenMDM or YMDj. However, the version of YMDj that is capable of handling the configuration of FM patches I haven't publicly released yet for a variety of reasons, the foremost being that it's far from being complete as a music sequencer and the demos were more of a proof of concept. GenMDM is becoming increasingly rare but I do know that there are a couple of users around here that have them. 

I'd record them for you, but I still don't have a Genesis in my hands.

EDIT: Zircon, I sent you an email. We may be able to work something out.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Oct 26, 2014 4:53 am)