Chicago, IL

Forgive me for 2 off-topic posts in two days (it's music related, if not chip)

As a musician my mind is boggled by this..how the heck do they keep track of these changes? Is there some weird tempo/time signature thing going on here that's beyond my understanding?

NC in the US of America

Well the parts with the snare on the downbeats are alternating between 7/4 and two bars of 4/4 (I want to say 8/4 but that's just weird, lol. Simpler to say, though...)

As for the weird changes... My counting skills are not advanced enough and I'm not confident enough in my ability to keep steady internal time without being affected by external changes to really say what's going on. I tried tapping through the "steady" section and the confusing section and it seemed to stay lined up when the steady section comes back in again.

Edit: That doesn't really help much but it's thread activity at least...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Nov 18, 2014 2:55 pm)

Chicago, IL

That's what I observed too, it's like it goes all shifty and weird but if you keep tapping the snare at some point it comes back together. I can't decide if they're geniuses or just really good at following a crazy drummer. Similar band that does this is C-Clamp. Yet they somehow manage to be relaxing mixing up tempos and time sigs...i am considering making some chip tunes inspired by this stuff..

Last edited by BeatScribe (Nov 18, 2014 2:53 pm)

NC in the US of America

I mean it's not that hard to do if you practice... Disregarding trying to think it out in your head and just internalize the changes and go with it. That's not a very academic approach but eh. It doesn't take genius. IMO

Edit: It does help when you have people in the band that you're working it out with tongue Don't have to struggle to "follow a crazy drummer" if the crazy drummer leaves a trail of bread crumbs.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Nov 18, 2014 2:59 pm)

Unsubscribe

also: click track in the studio.

Detroit

Practice.

Detroit

or they're actually a robot

Last edited by The One Electronic (Nov 18, 2014 5:20 pm)

buffalo, NY

They're off time triplets. Meaning they're in regular triplet time, but odd accents.

Now if you want to get really fucked, have fun with these quintuplets

Rhode Island
danimal cannon wrote:

They're off time triplets. Meaning they're in regular triplet time, but odd accents.

*head bobbing intensifies*

i could watch this video all day.

Chicago, IL
danimal cannon wrote:

That was enjoyable. Weirdly, that makes more sense to me than Castor. It has some twists (3:40-4:10 especially) but I can see where it's going. Castor just seems to drop totally out of synch and then wind back up again. I guess thinking as a drummer, I can follow what she's doing, Castor, to me is a mystery.

buffalo, NY

The trick is one of them grooves and the other is just awkward (not always a bad thing)

Last edited by danimal cannon (Nov 18, 2014 6:16 pm)

matt's mind

muscle memory

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:31 am)

Rhode Island
Crashmast wrote:

Is it weird that I found it extremely easy to follow both of those videos?

go follow this on the first listen then
https://ebugogo.bandcamp.com/album/chase-scenes-1-14

Michigan

try counting to this:

noisewaves wrote:

try counting to this:

YOOOOOO This is one of my favorite songs EVER

This version is WAY BETTER tho IMO - they are so much better of a band now that they lost the techmetal edgey aesthetic and went way more "hella gnar"

Last edited by an0va (Nov 18, 2014 9:09 pm)