France (au milieu)

few weeks ago, I had to re-install windows for the 12265213e time since I got my oooold PC.

I said ''stop'', got a random UBUNTU version and at last became a free man. \o/

everything works fine and lovely...appart 1 smallish detail: GB EMS card can't be recognized...

I still can work on my stuff on the game boy itself, no pb... but... well... I go to Paris this week end... long train time... and... well... i'd like to put street fighter2, lemmings and zelda on the other side... (*ashamed*)

do you have a tip or two ?

Riverside, CA

https://lacklustre.net/projects/ems-flasher/

France (au milieu)

cheers!

i had that already... so I guess it means that there is no ''already done'' driver to simply install ?

sigh...

well that depends on what you call, "already done",I use that one in ubuntu as well as fedora and in both work flawless smile , and more fast than the known windows gui

if you are used to linux try to compile, see if it lacks any library, and once compiled use it with sudo, some distros doesnt allow to acess to low level usb as a regular user

i dont know if someone uploaded the compiled binaries somewhere

Last edited by r0lemusic (Dec 3, 2014 3:52 pm)

SLC, UT

I have to ask, if you can't execute a make script and make sure the dependencies are fulfilled, why are you using linux?

on this subject, I use this fork https://github.com/Drienn/ems-flasher that has multirom support. faster and easier to use than the windows gui in my opinion

also, udev rules are nice

#for my gameboy flash cart
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="4670", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9394", MODE:="0666"

also if you dont wish to compile yourself, I'll save yu a step if youre 64bit ftp://cammykool.com/ems-flasher-multirom.tar.bz2

Last edited by tvall (Dec 3, 2014 11:35 pm)

stargazer wrote:

I have to ask, if you can't execute a make script and make sure the dependencies are fulfilled, why are you using linux?

well, isnt the goal of Ubuntu alike distros be transparent to any kind of user ?

SLC, UT
r0lemusic wrote:
stargazer wrote:

well, isnt the goal of Ubuntu alike distros be transparent to any kind of user ?

By 'transparent' do you mean 'easy to use'? If so, I don't think it is. Early on (2004), maybe the goal was to be usable by anyone, but at that point I think usable meant that you didn't have to have a CS degree to install it on your machine. Anybody who thinks they'll be able to use any linux distro as their daily driver and not have to use a shell at some point is misguided in my opinion.

Having said that, I guess I sort of regret and feel bad about being condescending about OP's linux inexperience. Thinking back to my early linux days, I was probably in the same boat. However, I felt like OP's attitude came across like he couldn't be bothered to spend 10 seconds compiling an otherwise extremely useful and well developed program. So I think my response should have been more along the lines of "What business do you have using linux if you can't even bother to read a readme?"

Québec

A casual user of Ubuntu wouldn't need much knowledge of how it's operating under the hood.

Nomad's Land

Jeez guys, give Sesska a break. As he states, he's been on Linux only for a few weeks.

Sesska, you're gonna have to get used to doing things the Linux way, I'm afraid. Which means you gotta learn to compile things yourself. In this case, it should be easy - just open a console, navigate to the directory where the EMS flasher sources are sitting (use "cd" to change directories, like on DOS/Windows command prompt), then type "make". If this goes through without errors, you can then type "sudo make install" to install.
If you get errors, post the output of the console here (copy it with Ctrl+Shift+C) and post it here, I'll try to help you.

Edit: And yes, I have to agree with others on one point: READMEs are there for reading. Especially on Linux.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Dec 3, 2014 11:40 pm)

I think the goal of ubuntu is then and now to be both easy and transparent, and by transparent I mean that the casual user and dayly use of people who dont know about computer stuff user dont need to care about their computer being in some architecture or what kind of hardware they have, and well, the fact that the build essentials and compilers dont come by default and instead they have a pretty app installer is a clue about their goals witch are loable, many people can use linux full time withouth knowin what is the terminal but yes at some point an operator may had to install and set up some things on console....

and i agree on people who doesnt even read a readme smile

btw sorry for the off topic SESSKA

Last edited by r0lemusic (Dec 3, 2014 11:43 pm)

SLC, UT
tvall wrote:

also if you dont wish to compile yourself, I'll save yu a step if youre 64bit ftp://cammykool.com/ems-flasher-multirom.tar.bz2

That was a ninja edit. Try this out and see if it works for you. The program is still command line though.

France (au milieu)

I guess I sort of regret and feel bad about being condescending about OP's linux inexperience. Thinking back to my early linux days, I was probably in the same boat

Jeez guys, give Sesska a break

yep, cheers...
Linux is pretty new for me as a concept, which does not mean that i don't want to do the ''linux way'' or read the reamefiles.. oO

I know how to open console, putting very basic commands into it, but still not quite get the overall ''logic''... basically when everything goes fine... everything's fine... if something mess up... i'm screwed, as error messages are another language to me.

then... I got something like 1/2h a day access to my own PC, being at work / out of house most of the time... (this was the ''poor little thing'' minute)

then type "make". If this goes through without errors, you can then type "sudo make install" to install.

will retry this evening, something messed up yesterday, cheers²

France (au milieu)
stargazer wrote:
tvall wrote:

'd'love to give this a try... but needs a password... PM ?

Québec

If you need a password to execute a sudo command, it is asking for the admin password on your machine.

Italy

It's good to keep windows on a separate partition for things like this. One thing I've learned in the 10 years of being a Linux user, compiling things from source will usually take a lot of time and leave you with a program that doesn't work, because something went wrong. I've stopped using software that is not available in repositories or at least as a .deb package.
So if you want my 2c, keep windows on a separate partition, dual boot with GRUB (the Ubuntu installer will do that automatically) and use the good old EMS flasher app for windows.