Do any of you use standalone sequencer plugins to go along with VSTs? (I mean a vst that adds a sequence or arppegiate layer to an existing synth vst). If so, what are your favorites? I've been having trouble finding a good one that I like.

Also, what are your favorite VST synth plugins for chiptune sounds?

I've been using mostly basic64 and Ice Cream, but would like to branch out further and wondered what you all like to use.

Thanks for the help.

Los Angeles, CA

Magical 8bit plug and FMdrive are both great synths. Can't really help on the sequencer end, sorry hmm

chipsounds is worth the money trust me. listen to

www.soundcloud.com/helgeland8bitsquad

most their sounds are from chipsounds and they have made hundreds of original tracks

sequencer depends on personal taste, ableton and fruityloops are the most user friendly, but cubase/logic/pro tools are the most professional

i think ableton comes with built in arpeggiator etc

i grew up with Reason, that is great if you learn it, but maybe not what you're lookin for for chip or VST abitlities

there's this thing called kirnu cream and it's not really very good IMHO, but it's better than other similar stuff i've tried

West Yorks, UK

standalone plugin doesn't really make sense.

do you mean a mini sequencer that is not a full DAW like fruity / ableton / cubase? Ie a really small sequencer app that you can route midi out to VST's? or like a big old sequencer to use ur plugins inside(ie fruity or ableton etc) ?

yeah i realised i made the mistake of thinking he meant DAW but i think he means things that can make VSTs do stuff, like arpeggiators and drum programmers etc

Dallas, Texas

Plogue Chipsounds and Bitspeak

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Domu wrote:

standalone plugin doesn't really make sense.

do you mean a mini sequencer that is not a full DAW like fruity / ableton / cubase? Ie a really small sequencer app that you can route midi out to VST's? or like a big old sequencer to use ur plugins inside(ie fruity or ableton etc) ?

Actually it does make sense in the case of reViSiT. It can be used stand-alone or as a sequencer within a VST host.

http://revisit.info/

West Yorks, UK

so can fruityloops! but surely if you use it standalone its not acting as a plugin?
anywayyy, semantics.

Numerology

West Yorks, UK
_-_- wrote:

Numerology

good thinking, great great app. but mac only maybe? used to be anyway

Yes, just to clarify I didn't mean a DAW by a sequencer. I meant a plugin VST that lets you add note patterns to existing synths WITHIN a DAW, like an arppegiator. This way when you put a single note in the DAW it will play the pattern, and when you change the note, it will transpose that pattern, etc.

I've found a few that are supposed to do that, but none that work particularly well so far. Kirnu Cream is one example (though I haven't tried it yet.)

Olympia, WA

Aalto/Kaivo from Madrona Labs

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Threeleggedyoyo wrote:

Yes, just to clarify I didn't mean a DAW by a sequencer. I meant a plugin VST that lets you add note patterns to existing synths WITHIN a DAW, like an arppegiator. This way when you put a single note in the DAW it will play the pattern, and when you change the note, it will transpose that pattern, etc.

I've found a few that are supposed to do that, but none that work particularly well so far. Kirnu Cream is one example (though I haven't tried it yet.)

Using reViSiT as a VST sequencer is a great way to bring a powerful tracker interface to software like Ableton or Digital Performer that traditionally use awful piano roll style sequencers.

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:24 am)

Seattle, WA

For chip I really like famisynth. It's very versatile for what it is.

Non chip SQ8L is almost the best VST ever of all time. It would be PERFECT if you could automate parameters.